Author Topic: cancer survivors  (Read 537 times)

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
cancer survivors
« on: October 20, 2015, »
Hey gang...  this is not a post for sympathy or anything like that just a request for information for any that may have gone thru what I'm going thru.  In July I was diagnosed with head and neck cancer.  There was a large lump in my neck.  They think they found the source which was tongue cancer caused by the constant rubbing of my tongue on a broken tooth I refused to have fixed.   Anyways. Finally after surgery to remove the lump and part of my tongue I have started chemo and radiation therapy in the mouth and neck.  Suffice to say this is the hardest thing I have ever done.  I can't eat as food and liquids taste so bad it gags me.   Now my question I if anyone has gone thru the same thing how did you get past the taste and ability to swallow.  I am having a feeding tube inserted in the morning so that will help for sure,  but I was hoping for more choices also.   

Thanks
Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: cancer survivors
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, »
You may find your tastes have changed with your pallet.

My father-in-law went through something similar and foods that never appealed to him became more tolerable... like salted oatmeal, something he could tolerate when he couldn't tolerate other things.

Try high-calorie food supplement pastes (400-600 calories)... high input without having to eat as much.  And try high-calorie drinks.

because you will be eating less fiber-rich foods, constipation can be a problem.  try benefiber to move things through... it dissolves in water and has no taste or texture.

This isn't forevever... your tastes will change and you'll find things you like as you adapt.

So sorry to hear about this happening to you.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro