Author Topic: Distance to first node  (Read 4462 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Distance to first node
« on: October 08, 2015, »
My megatree is 14' in diameter so I need at least 7' from controller to string, plus a little to get out of the box, etc.  I have "pigtails" cut at 10' to go from the controller to the string.  By the time i add the waterproof connectors, I will be close to 11-12 feet.  A few string have a long entry wire (maybe 1-2 feet) so i could be anywhere from 11' up to 14' from Zeus to first node. 

I know RJ says in this post (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) to: "Keep your plans to say 15 feet or less. so for mega trees and few places this will work well."  That was my max target (15').  I also see there is a document in the wiki that says 8 feet.  I would have a hard time with 8' making it to the string/node unless I shrink my tree.  Has anyone had trouble going from 11'-14' with their Zeus?  I would rather cut the pigtails now before i get everything soldered and connected if this will be an issue.  Or is this trial and error?

TIA,
-Keith

Offline tbone321

Re: Distance to first node
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, »
It's more of an issue of trial and error but the output of the SSR4 and the Zeus is much better at running longer distances than the SSR1 and 2 so I think that you should be ok with the length that you need.  You could also put the ZEUS near the top of the tree and then your runs would only be a few feet.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, »
Thanks for the verification.  I was hoping that was the case but was just not sure.  While the top of the tree is an idea...as many times as I have to troubleshoot and repair my stuff, it would be a lot of work to pull the lift out every time i needed to get in the box while it is 25 feet in the air.   :o  I may see about trimming a foot off just for good measure, but good to know that i am within acceptable limits as is.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Keith

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, »
Late to the party, but had to shorten 12' to 9' then finally to 6' with my Zeus 8's.  This was with 1804 bullets nodes.  Was completely baffled since the SSCv4 does so much better. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, »
if your under 128 nodes, you can throw 1-2 in as inline repeaters and just tape them over and program as null nodes ??
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, »
Go get a couple of microamps at Falcon Christmas.  The surplus from the last coop is being sold NOW.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, »
I thought about the micro amps.    I assume I would need 16 so that is adding almost $100 to this...plus, I don't really have a way to incorporate it as my cables are already made.  I guess I need to just try it out.  I can shorten my cables a little, but can't get down to 6 feet (14' diameter tree), nor do I have a good way to add an additional pixel for null nodes.  I have 2 Zeus'.  I may need to put one by one side of the tree and one by the other and have each run 8 strings.  Really defeats the purpose of them it would seem, but i have re-purposed my SSC's used for my megatree last year assuming I could get at least 10' out of the Zeus.  I hope to have everything connected tomorrow so may try and test and see what it does.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, »
Best of luck Keith.  I really hope it was just me. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, »
a node or two only costs $1 or less each ... hard to beat that.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login