Author Topic: If you arent using the power do you still get the data  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Sloanhaus

So I am going to plug my wall washer directly into the wall since it has an on board transformer. I am wanting to run dmx from the lynx to the wall washer via dmx/xlr cable. Since I am using power from the wall, I wont be connecting any wires to the terminals on the Lynx... I should still get to use the data from the express correct? Meaning I will still be able to assign 4 channels in lightshow pro to the wallwasher and just use the data to tell the wallwasher what intensity levels to use? Sorry for all the questions, but I am hoping for a really good 4th of July show and I am in crunch time now.

Thanks for all help

Sloan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
is the wall washer a DMX device?

If Yes then why bother with the LE?

If No and you are using the LE then it needs power on the left input.

I have no clue if the LE can control the wall washer, I'll leave that for someone smarter than me.

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Murl

What you have should work fine.  As Rick said, if you're not connecting any lights to the LE, then you shouldn't need it.  The DMX signal coming out of the LE is the same as the signal going in.

Since your wall washer is a DMX device, you just need to build an adapter cable to change the Cat-5 DMX cabling used by the Lynx stuff to an XLR connector that your wall washer uses.

As long as you have the adapter, you could go directly from the Lynx Dongle to the wall washer, if you wanted.  But, from your other posts, it sounds like your setup will most likely go:  Dongle -> MR16 controller -> XLR adapter/Wall Washer.

Is that what you had in mind?

Offline Sloanhaus

Great information,

I am going to be going dongle, to MR16 to run MR16 bulbs in mini trees, to MR16 to run rope light, to express to run christmas lights, and than I will be going to the wall washers... Thanks very much for all your help, I cant wait to post video when I get everything set up.

Brad

Offline Murl

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Don't forget to pull the terminating jumpers from the MR16's and the LE - since the wall washer will be the last device in the DMX network, it will be the only one that needs the terminating resistor.

Good luck!

Offline Sloanhaus

Good information Murl,

Now I just have to figure out how to terminate the wallwasher... I guess I could always run a blank MR16 board on the end to terminate... Any other ideas?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

Does the wall washer have a manual that shows it can self-terminate?  Can you use a 120 ohm resistor on end of a cable attached to the wall washer?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does the wall washer have a manual that shows it can self-terminate?  Can you use a 120 ohm resistor on end of a cable attached to the wall washer?

I have a handful of RJ45 connectors where I've crimped the 120-ohm resistor straight into pins 1-2 sitting in a drawer so that any time I need a quick termination, I have one, without having to fiddle with the headers.

\dmc