Author Topic: buying computer for running show  (Read 1294 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
buying computer for running show
« on: November 08, 2015, »
I am looking to purchase a new computer and wondered what is the best choice. i.e. Mack book or ?
 sequencing with Xlights/Nut cracker and I only have Standard lights no RGB yet also running show though computer so it will be on during show times. Please be specify t he  brand and all other stuff, I am not computer savvy the top of my budget is 3 grand but would like to find something around 2 grand. also all my family have apple computers if apple will work the best i will get the top product available today.

Jeff

Offline therealbigjim

Re: buying computer for running show
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, »
 Running a show does not take a lot of computing power. I have an older laptop I have used for several years. Check falcon Christmas and see if you could use a pi to run your show. As for sequencing what software are you using? if you own mac s  and the sequencing software works on a mac then use that. I have used LOR of the on/off dimming sequencing, its what I got started with. I have since moved to xlights , its free, and  if you are learning for the first time its not difficult to use, there is a lot of support and the guys that develop it  and update it use it in there own displays and know whats works best..
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, »
I agree with the big guy. The raspberry pi is the best way to go. Its cheap and very dependable.
This is what I use. Very easy to set up as well and I'm like you, not very puter savvy.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, »
If you are looking at buying a new PC, I would be more concerned about what software you want to run it on.  Running a show doesn't use much power so that really shouldn't be much of a concern.  Actually, many of us are using or looking at FPP and the Raspberry PI for actually running the show.  The advantages to that are that the PI is a low cost full mini computer, around $40.00.  FPP is free and is still in full development.  This allows you to continue using your PC for other things including continued show development while the show is running on the PI.  And if you are using XLights, FPP can run those sequences directly. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, »
I ran my xmas and halloween on raspberry pi in 2013 and 2014. 30k channels, no lag. The latest software can drive 512,000 channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, »
thanks for the replies, I have to get a new computer for Sequencing and I understand about using a PI to run show. I downloaded Xlights in my wifes Apple Mac book but it wont open up it says I don't support the software URG. My son inlaw says we could build one from MTECH any thoughts about that.
Jeff

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, »
My son inlaw says we could build one from MTECH any thoughts about that.
My son has always built my computers. Get all the good stuff for half the price.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, »
My MSI laptop is an i5 w 4 gig of ram on win 7, and it runs xlights and LOR with no issues its about 5 years old. a newer one would would be even better. I like the duel screens I have on my desktop. I built an AMD 8 core with 16 gig and a 4 gig video  card for about $ 900. The two screens let you spread Xlights out and see what your doing.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"