Author Topic: Raspberry pi  (Read 3091 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Raspberry pi
« on: November 10, 2015, »
I was looking at another thread about what computer to buy as a show computer. I noticed that several folks are using the Raspberry pi to run their shows. I'm not familiar with this and would like to know how it works. I currently run my show with my laptop and plug my FM transmitter into the computer. I'm using the LOR software. My question is how does the Raspberry work and will it support the LOR software and how do you use it to transmit the music.   

Offline aERonAUtical96

Re: Raspberry pi
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, »
The PI is a small, linux based computer.  small power draw.  Typically runs headless (no monitor).  You can control the PI through a command shell from any other computer (if you have network capability on the PI... either wifi or hardwired network).  The PI does have an HDMI output, so you can hook up a monitor if necessary (i.e. network disabled on the PI).  Supports standard USB devices for mouse and keyboard (I have a logitech wireless keyboard with mouse embedded).

It will not run the LOR software since I believe that is windows based.  The application that most (probably ALL) people run is the Falcon Pi Player (FPP) (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).  This is a scheduling/management app that runs on the PI.  Your sequences will need to be converted to the FPP format.  The xLights/Nutcracker app can perform that conversion for you.

So in general, you can continue to sequence in LOR's app, use xLights to convert to FPP format (I think they are .fseq files), upload to the PI, setup your hardware configuration in FPP (tell FPP what protocol, channels, etc), schedule and run.  The FPP is web based, so if your PI is connected to network (which it really should be to ensure clock is kept in sync) you can connect to the PI via a standard browser on other laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.  The lynx dongle/dmx dongle just connects to an available USB port

Audio out can be accomplished in two manners.  The PI has a standard 3.5mm jack or you can use a USB sound card.  From what I've read, when using the 3.5mm jack it is best to send it through some processor (typically a $50 sound processing device) before sending the sound to the FM xmitter (I believe there is a impedance mismatch between the PI and the FM02... this may not be the case for other xmitters).  I use a USB sound card... plugged it in, told FPP to use that card instead of the default card and bam... music broadcasting out.

The setup of FPP is extremely simple.  Takes about 3 hours to download, install and configure.  My old show computer crashed the day before Halloween.  I spent Friday night configuring my PI and was up and running Saturday morning, hours before Halloween.

What you normally need to run the PI as a show computer (general prices)...
Raspberry PI $35-40 with power adapter
USB hub (powered)  $10-15  (may not be necessary if you run the B model w/ 4 USB ports and your number of peripherals)
min 8GB SD card (this is what holds the operating system and FPP that allows the PI to boot) <$20
min 8GB USB flash drive (this holds your show contents... sequences, audio, etc) <$20
USB keyboard $19 for the logitech keyboard w/ trackpad (not completely necessary if you have another computer to connect into the PI with)
USB wifi dongle $10
USB sound card or sound processor $50 (this may not be necessary if you don't have FM02)

Hope this makes sense...  I just recently did this and HIGHLY recommend.  Others can chime in if what I said above is incorrect.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, by aERonAUtical96 »

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, »
Wow, thanks for the info!! I'm a simple minded guy and just don't know a lot about computers. I think I will stick with my old laptop in the garage hooked up to my FM transmitter, USB dongle and run cat5 to the controllers. That's worked for 4 years and I'm sure if start to get fancy I'll back myself into a corner that I cant get out of. Thanks for the info.  <fp.

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, »
Understand... but it really isn't that scary :)  The guys over at Falcon have really put together a nice package, extremely user friendly that is well documented.  I knew I was going to go to the FPP at some point, but my show computer not starting up upped that timeframe.  I had to scramble and in less than a couple of hours I was up and running.

For this year, I would say stick with what you are comfortable with... but consider playing with the PI after the first of the year.  You will be surprised how much you will learn and impress others when you show them your show runs off a computer that is 3x4 inches. 

There is tons of support from both this forum and over at falcon... so you will be able to fight your way out of that corner :)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, »
We are not talking about a lot of money so I would recommend that you get your show running and get the Pi and start playing with it in December so you can try it out before you take your display down.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, »
What model transmitter do yo have?  The Vast V-FMT212R is supported out of the box.  FPP is indeed quite easy to set up and run.  As mentioned earlier, you don't need a display, and the entire unit can fit into a CG-1500 enclosure along with a USB / DMX adapter (I use a DMX King), a V-FMT212R, and a Lynx Express.  Control of FPP is via a simple Web interface using any web browser.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine without the V-FMT212R mounted.  The Raspberry Pi is almost hidden by a little 4 port USB hub.

Here is a shot with the case closed.  The two antennas are a Rosewill RNX-N250UBE Wireless-N adapter ($16 right now at NewEgg), also supported out of the box.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, by lrhorer »

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It will not run the LOR software since I believe that is windows based.
The Model 2 might.  I haven't tried it, but the Raspberry Pi 2 runs Windows 10.  (I don't particularly recommend it, but someone here might give it a try.)

The application that most (probably ALL) people run is the Falcon Pi Player (FPP) (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).
No, definitely not all.  My outdoor Christmas show runs on FPP, but my Halloween show runs on QLC+, and my indoor Christmas show runs on Open Lighting Architecture.

So in general, you can continue to sequence in LOR's app, use xLights to convert to FPP format (I think they are .fseq files), upload to the PI, setup your hardware configuration in FPP (tell FPP what protocol, channels, etc), schedule and run.
Absolutely.  Vixen has a built-in FPP export utility, as well, and it's what I use for the outdoor Christmas show.  'Lots of options from which to choose.

The setup of FPP is extremely simple.  Takes about 3 hours to download, install and configure.
Rather less on a Pi 2.  It has a lot more horsepower than the Model B.

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, »
We are not talking about a lot of money so I would recommend that you get your show running and get the Pi and start playing with it in December so you can try it out before you take your display down.
Once the show is running, the Pi can be a drop-in replacement for the Laptop, so there is a really fair chance he can actually run the show - at least part of the year - on the Pi this year.   As you say, it's really not a lot of money, and if something goes wrong with the Pi setup, he can always plug the laptop back in and be back up in a matter of minutes.