Author Topic: Securing light controllers  (Read 1418 times)

Offline lrhorer

Securing light controllers
« on: November 11, 2015, »
I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, but things do still get stolen from time to time.  I know DMX dimmers in CG-1500 cases are not high on the list of things stolen, either, but electronic-looking devices sitting in the front yard are pretty tempting targets for the passing vandal.  How do folks here secure your outdoor light controllers so they don't walk away?

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: Securing light controllers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, »
I too live in a very nice and quiet neighborhood and I always camouflage the controllers in a red Christmas bag and put a green bow on it. It works fine and it looks like its part of the display or as a Christmas package.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, »
I don't usually do anything special to secure the controllers. Although, I did add security cameras this year since I had a couple of display elements taken last year.

This year I will have everything staked to the ground and the display items will be secured to the stakes so that someone cannot easily walk off with them.

Most of my controllers have enough wires attached to them that they would be hard to take without some effort of cutting or disconnecting all the wires.

Not that this would stop someone who really wants to steal them, but at least they would have to work a little harder for them and would be more likely to get caught.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, »
Steel cable and locks.  Granted the cg1500 cases are plastic but it looks good.  I also run steel cable through the likely targets like the wire frame nativity.  And yes lots of cameras.  But those are more for our entertainment watching people.

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Steel cable and locks.

Attached to what, and attached to the CG-1500 how?  Can you elaborate, or do you have pictures?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, »
I bought a bunch of locks all keyed the same.  Steel cable and swagging tool so I can make cables.  Tie them around anything available.  Trees, poles or just lock a bunch together.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, »
I have never lost a controller, but did have a wireframe deer run away in the night.  Now I zip cable together so if something want to run away or be carried away it is attached to a whole lot of stuff.  Can still be taken, but really slows a thief down.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, »
Just put a paintball gun on the roof with motion sensor and tracking and shoot the thiefs. IF ONLY WE COULD.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, by TexasStingray »
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, »
Just put a paintball gun on the roof with motion sensor eith targeting and shoot the thiefs. IF ONLY WE COULD.
<la..
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline Greg

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, »
Just put a paintball gun on the roof with motion sensor and tracking and shoot the thiefs. IF ONLY WE COULD.

And why can't you do that? ----   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....