Author Topic: Smart String Hub and Channel Count greater than 4 Universes  (Read 1298 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
For the first time I was planning on moving my channel count above 4 Universes.
I'm not sure how to address channel counts above 4 Universes as the Hubs only access the first 4.
How do I access channel counts into the 5th or more universes using Active 16 Port Hub?

Offline tbone321

I suspect that you are talking about PixelNet universes.  Remember, that each universe is a pair on the CAT5 cable and the hub only has jumpers for the first 4 because Cat5 only has 4 pairs of wires.  If you want to go above universe 4, that will depend on what you have driving the hub.  If it is an ETD, then you would load it with the firmware that would have it outputting universes 5 thru 8 and then set the jumpers on the hubs wire pair in the same sequence.  IOW 1 would be universe 5, 2 would be universe 6, ect...   If you are using a Falcon device, then you would have to look up your configuration to see which output connector and pair on that connector will be outputting your desired universe and set the hubs jumpers to work with that pair. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
You basically program everything DLA (Zeus, SSC) in the 4k range only.  Then your board specific jumpers will determine which of the four (4k) universes to use (1,2,3 or 4) from the incoming cat5 pixelnet in (8 wires, 4 pairs, each pair is a 4k pixelnet universe).    Once you get beyond the first 16k channels (from the four universes from an etherdongle#1) ... then you will need another etherdongle and have it flashed with firmware that listens to 16-32k instead.  There is a different firmware to flash to the Etherdongle to achieve each 16k (4 universes) range you want.  So say your adding a second etherdongle, you flash it with the 16-32k firmware.  But beyond that, it all acts kind of the same way.  That physical cord coming out of that second Etherdongle#2 ... then feeds DLA pixelnet hardware (in a generic 16k or 4x4k way) .... and you jumper off with if the four universes you want each board to utilize.  (a Zues v2 can jumped a mixture of the 4 if you want).  THen were talking a single 4k PN universe and your lights correspond to the 4k programming you assigned.  I'm just talking DLA since I really don't understand the Falcon way very well.  The Falcon way is web based and generally more flexible and versatile ... but I use DLA ways because its what I know and I'm slow to change.  On the wiki page for the Etherdongle, there are links to get the various 16k ranges for firmware flashing.  You need a pickit3 to do that (not pickit2).  Most of us have the initial 1-16k range on our etherdongle.  If you run two etherdongles, then you would have 16-32 on the second and 32-48 on third, etc.  You can connect all the etherdongles to a single network hub or switch or router (I think).  THe computer sends E1.31 to that network hub, switch, router ... and then it becomes pixelnet coming out of each of the etherdongles.  I'm sure others may have to correct me since I'm pretty rusty on this stuff anymore.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login