Author Topic: Strings freeze  (Read 2466 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Strings freeze
« on: November 21, 2015, »
I have a mega tree with 16 WS2811 DC12V 8mm technicolor pixel strings / 54 nodes per string running off a Zeus 16 string controller with a 650 watt power supply.

Per Ray Wu' specifications each node pulls 0.6 watts.  54 x 0.6 = 32.4 watts per string. 32.4 watts x 16 = 518.4 watts for the whole tree. I over powered by 25% for a "full on".

On some of my sequences I have a "full on" white flash several times several times in a row. Because the song repeats itself this happens several times. Sometimes the strings make it through the first set of flashes but the second set several strings will freeze on white (not always the same strings). They stay on after the song ends. I have to shut down the controller to get them to shut down. Once I power back up they work correctly until I have a "full on" repeat.

I read that that is caused by under powering. My calculations show I have 25% reserve.

Am I under powered and need to buy a 750 watt power supply or do I have another problem?

MSL

Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Strings freeze
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, »
That really looks like a voltage drop issue.  You are probably going to need another power supply.  I would go with the larger supply and see of that eliminates your issues.  If not, then you will probably need to either lower the number of nodes in each string or use power injection on the strings to reduce the voltage drop that is causing these issues.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Re: Strings freeze (and other problems)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, »
Purchased a 750 watt power supply. Did not fix my problem.

Now pic's do not seem to stay programed. I cannot hook all 16 strings up and set the channels all at one time. When I do the strings flash like they are set. Nothing comes on when I run a sequence.

I  tried to set 6 strings. At first 3 set correctly (color wise), 3 did not (they came on but did not follow the sequence (or color).

Tried to set all 6 again Nothing came on when I ran the sequence.

I re-programmed the pic's and started programming one string at a time. Got to 3 strings and the 4th messed up.

I don't know if it matters but I mixed the Zeus 16v1 and Zeus 8 pic's up (they are the same pic). All were programmed with the Zeus V6 hex.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?

MSL
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, by MSL »
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login