Author Topic: Chaining Expresses  (Read 1212 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Chaining Expresses
« on: November 21, 2015, »
I will have 14 expresses in my display.  I was going to chain them all together through the DMX ouputs.

I really have two questions:

1. If I chain them all together in series will there be a noticeable "lag" in the latter expresses at the end of the chain?
2. If so, could I effectively "split" the DMX signal by using DMX out 1 and DMX out 2 out of the same express so that I could have two different chains created; both being shorter in length?

Thanks in advance.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: Chaining Expresses
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, »
Until this year, I daisy chained 14 le's and never had a problem. Make sure you terminate the last one.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, »
I chain 16 expresses without a problem. I don't even terminate the last one.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, »
1. no there won't be any lag ... 14 isn't that many.

2. yes, you could
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, »
There is no need to worry about delays.  This may be an issue with Renard controllers because of the way that they modify the signal which requires some buffering.  The LE, like other true DMX devices, does not modify the signal so there is no delay between the input and output.  Actually, the input and output 1 are wired in parallel to each other so the only delay is the speed of electricity between the two points.  Even output 2 which is a regenerated signal is regenerated in real time and the only delay is the time it takes the chip to respond to signal changes so you are talking microseconds.  The advantage of using the regenerated output is that it allows longer runs and more controllers on the line without signal loss.  All in all, a pretty good deal.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving