Author Topic: Why We (Should) All Do This...  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Ryan Johnson

Why We (Should) All Do This...
« on: November 24, 2015, »
Why do I do this every year?" I ask my self that a lot every November as the "lights on" date approaches. Had something amazing happen today that answers that for me...

There's a young lady who lives in our subdivision with her mother. She's had significant scary things happen to her in her life and so she is terrified to go out of the house. Yet every night, every single night, she's here with her mom to watch the lights. I was outside this morning putting up lights, fixing broken strings, and wondering for the 10,000th time "why do I do this every year". As I'm working her mother pulls up and gets out and approaches me. She tells me who she is and I tell her I know her daughter and appreciate her coming by all the time. She tells me some of the details of her daughter's life that I certainly didn't know and then tells me "this is her joy all season and all year. It means so much that you do this." They're moving up to the DFW area soon and she tells me "she knows we're moving but it hasn't hit her that she won't see this anymore after this year." Sort of choked me up and I told her how much it means for her to come tell me that. I told her that I have a lot of friends on Lone Star Holidays that live in that area and that I'd give her some addresses to see other big displays. They're moving just outside of Frisco and I told them to let me know when and I'll get her in touch with the guy behind the amazing Frisco Town Square display (Jeff Trykoski).

This hobby is a lot of work, time and money. Things have changed in our lives as the girls (and we!) get older and I can say that my obsession with Christmas lights has waned over the last 3-4 years. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I don't love the work (and believe it or not I really used to!). Then things like this happen and I realize how much what we do touches pepole. If no one else comes by this year I know that our biggest fan will be out there in her car, feeling safe, and beaming at our display. I still don't love the work but I know now why I do it: because it's important to some people and they wait for it all year. That's a humbling thing.

It's not about pixels, technology, incandescent, commerical vs DIY, the Academy, LSH, the Great Christmas Light Fight, or the people who want to be "famous" in our holiday community. Really it's not even about your religious beliefs or lack thereof. It certainly isn't about political races/debate, terrorism, marriage equality or racial divides. It's about the people we touch, most of which we never hear from. As you bask in your glory of being "the best display" remember that. We all forget it sometimes, myself included.

Ok... have to wipe my eyes out and get back to work. A lovely young lady is waiting to see this all turn on.
-Ryan Johnson
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: Why We (Should) All Do This...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, »
We all have a story to tell. Its always the one person that makes it all the more worth it. I have kids come at halloween asking me when am i putting up lights? I work my tail off putting this together every year and I always say this is my last... My last what? I dont know because I keep putting up lights and buying more stuff. Maybe this year is my last. I need a new kitchen. Lol.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, »
Ryan, boy that was a post I can relate to right now! 

Like you, you realize this is a ridiculous amount of work and over time ... the excitement and challenge wanes ... and it feels just like a lot of work.

My daughters, while they don't really help me much ... esp. my oldest, seems to care deeply about the show and its continuing on.   When I started in 2008 she was 8 and now she is 16 and a couple years from being in college.  She says the show is so loved by her friends at school and everyone knows where she lives, just because they know about the lightshow house.

So for now, the show goes on.  I would do anything for my first born ... and if this show is that important to her, then its that important to me.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, »
Two years ago we rescued a dog and I started taking walks in the neighborhood.  I've now met more folks in the couple of blocks around where we live than I did in the first 12 years that I have lived in this house.  As we talk, they find out where I live and I always get the comment that we love your lights along with questions like when are you going to start putting them up and what's new this year.  Nothing but great feedback.  We have gotten notes left in the mailbox and even folks who came to the door to say thanks.  In the past I never knew more than the close by neighbors so walking the dog has been great to meet folks.  Now we have a second rescued dog and I am dragged around the neighborhood by a 2 dog team.  Maybe I should put some lights on the dogs winter coats.  LOL.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline winwin

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, »
Ryan,
You said it so well and it is such a beautiful story. Of course it is work and people may not realize the amount of effort you put in but with such a story aren't you happy that you did not give up?
I have a small display, very small in fact but people who stop by just seem to enjoy it a lot since I do not advertise and every year I get more and more people. Last year when I was away from home one night my daughter texted me that people were cheering outside watching the show. I never erased that text message, I thought it was marvellous!

I am so glad you posted your story. It keeps me motivated and if I can make a little kid happy watching the dancing lights this season, it is worth every second I spent on doing this hobby.

AL.

Offline danj

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, »
Thanks so much for sharing that.   I have been having problems with several aspects of my display and was just asking myself last night if I really want to keep doing this or not...    You have ENCOURAGED me!!   thx.
LOR user with 16 AC channels
E682 user with 360 RGB channels

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, »
Very well said Ryan! i almost didn't do my show this year due to health issues with my wife. Once i finally decided to go a head and put up the show, i realized why i do the work. i usually start putting up my show 2 weeks before Halloween but didn't start this year until the week before thanksgiving. As i was putting up the show that weekend, people were stopping and telling me that they were glad that i was doing the show. they were worried that i wasn't doing it due to it being so late in the season. just goes to show they are paying attention! they knew that i normally started before Halloween. the joy it brings to people that go out of their way to watch the show, is why i will keep doing it until i am physically not capable.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights