Author Topic: How To Videos  (Read 2259 times)

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
How To Videos
« on: June 18, 2009, »
A Picture is worth a thousand words.

Bill

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
Re: How To Videos
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, »
Lynx Dongle Setup Videos
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, by wbuehler »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, »
Cool

Thanks Bill for uploading them

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, »
If it is ok with RJ I'm going to upload all of them but Ii think it would be better to have a separate forum for them.

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, »
If it is ok with RJ I'm going to upload all of them but Ii think it would be better to have a separate forum for them.

Bill

If possible I would like to see them upload to the wiki

Rick
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, »
Very thorough walk thru of the initial use of the dongle.   

The only addon thought is to add information on the source of the FTDI.exe file (i.e. add text to the lower part of the screen showing the http addy)

Also, just a FYI, when I installed the latest version of the FTDI.exe on one machine (to be my christmas computer)  the device mfgr showed  230K (approx) as a selectible option for baud rate..     I've not played with  this puter enough to find out if that is actually a usable rate.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, »
Very thorough walk thru of the initial use of the dongle.   

The only addon thought is to add information on the source of the FTDI.exe file (i.e. add text to the lower part of the screen showing the http addy)

Also, just a FYI, when I installed the latest version of the FTDI.exe on one machine (to be my christmas computer)  the device mfgr showed  230K (approx) as a selectible option for baud rate..     I've not played with  this puter enough to find out if that is actually a usable rate.   

Larry

Hi Larry

Make sure if you are using the lastest drivers to update both the com port and usb bus drivers. I made the mistake of only updating the com port and I got a ton of errors. They went away after I also updated the bus.

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline REM

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, »

Larry

From what RJ has said recently, the baud rate on this virtual COM port makes no difference as it will send the data as fast as possible irregardless of the baud setting.

Offline REM

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, »
There are a few issues to consider with serving the videos from RJ's host.  First, assuming we will be adding more and more, space may be an issue.  Bandwidth (download speed) may also be affected.  Even more important is the lack of buffering.  A standard video attached to a page has to be completely downloaded before playing whereas a YouTube or Vimeo embedded video will allow you to start watching almost immediately.  My 2 cents.

The only constructive criticism I can offer for your videos Bill, is that it's extremely dark and all of the PC shots are so blurry that you can't make out any of the text.  However, you get an A+ for effort and thoroughness as usual.

--Ron

Offline REM

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, »
One other related suggestion.  Use screen recording software to get pristine shots of what you're doing there.  Then edit it together with camera footage.  Some editing software will even let you do picture-in-picture so you can do things like run a sequence and show the light output in another window.

Offline REM

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, »
Well, scratch that last note - now that I'm watching the #2 video ;)

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, »
OK Here we go.

1.  Yes I am aware that a standard video attached to a web page will normally have to be downloaded to a PC first.  But this is not always the case as some viewers will buffer the playback as the file downloads.

2.  Yes the PC shots in the first video were blurry but that video was more of a external view to show off the hardware and the light test at the end.  As you saw I did the second video with the camstudio software so the PC screens could be seen.

3.  Yes I have seen videos that are made with a Hybrid of PC shots, external video, pop up text, flash animation, and dubbed audio...etc... but I am just using Windows Movie Maker.  Yes it can do some of those things but currently I do not have the time.

I mainly just posted those videos because of recent dongle attachment questions.  They were originally on PutFile but they went out of business, YouTube will only allow a 10 minute video unless it is HighDef so I figured that I would try it here until a more permanent solution could be found.

Bill

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, by wbuehler »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, »
Thank you Bill for the time to create the videos to help others.
They work fine for me and I am sure almost all the users.
Post them to the forum if you like I am not concerned about the space as I have plenty of space for a valuable tool like this for our users and we will not have to worry about them going away or being blocked because of it thinking you are violating copyright laws.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, »
Suggestion:  move the post with the videos to the "Lynx USB DMX Dongle" board and tag as "Sticky" so that it is always at the top.   

larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline REM

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, »
Like I said, just a little constructive criticism.  I do appreciate the effort. It's more than anyone else has done.