Author Topic: C7 Socket Cleaner  (Read 1000 times)

Offline UncleBuck

C7 Socket Cleaner
« on: November 30, 2015, »
I have some C7 incandescent strings that a few bulbs are out. It looks like the socket is dirty / corroded and the bulbs are not making contact with the socket. What is the best spray to clean out the socket and spray on the bulbs. I thought I would use some caned air and blow them out and then treat them with something.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
Re: C7 Socket Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, »
Habor freight has a small wire brush set that works great for that, and I use wd40 in the socket and on the bulb ends. Have to clean sockets of strobe yearly but not so much anymore now that I spraysockets with wd40. Use steel wool and wd40 for bulb ends
Hope that helps

Joe
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, by t.jo13 »

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, »
Thanks, I'll give it a try today and see what I get tonight.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, »
Just move the bulb to a different socket and see if it lights.  If so, then there is an issue with the socket.  There could be one of two issues, both caused by corrosion.  The first is corrosion in the bulb contact center pad.  You need to be careful using a wire brush on that because it is not made of the heaviest material and the brush could tear it out.  A pencil erasure actually works very well on them.  The other contact is on the side and depending on the socket, may or may not be an issue.  If it is the type with the metal threads, that type is normally not affected by some corrosion due to the firm contact between it and the bulb.  If it is the lower cost plastic socket with the metal strip, then make sure that is also clean and make sure that both contacts are bent out toward the bulb and not pressed into the socket. 

The second issue is that one or more of the contacts have corroded and lost there connection with the wires in the socket.  In that case, the only option that you have are to either leave the bulb out or replace the socket.  Lets hope that the only issues are a few burnt out bulbs or at worst, a dirty or bent contact.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving