Author Topic: troubleshooting help for pixel nodes  (Read 3744 times)

Offline jeffcoast

troubleshooting help for pixel nodes
« on: December 02, 2015, »
I got a new shipment of nodes this year and I am trying to wire them up and they are not wanting to light at all. I've tried 2 strings and think I am doing it the same as the ones I got last year.  These are the ones linked to in the wiki. The pigtails I have are the newer ones with the yellow/green, blue and brown wiring. I have wired the red to the yellow/green, the blue to the brown and the green to the blue. I've tried looking at the node, but just see markings for 12v and gnd, but doesn't say data that I can see. I am inputting on the side with the big chip. Anyone know if something has changed with these nodes? I did see some threads about a higher power usage in the newer ones, so tried cutting the strand to just 21, which is what I will be using for the trees I am putting them on, but they still didn't work.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

Re: troubleshooting help for pixel nodes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, »
The first thing that you need to do is make sure that you are making the connections correctly.  Use a multi-meter and make sure that the pigtails are good and that you are sending power and data to the correct wires.  Depending on color codes with these connectors is a really bad idea.  While power can be connected to either side of the string, the data must be connected to the input side or nothing will happen.  You can connect the data line to the other side of the string and see if that wakes it up.  Also make sure that the power is not connected in reverse polarity or you will toast the entire string.  What chip are these new nodes using?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, »
The ones I ordered are supposed to be the TM1804IC.

This one. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They look exactly like the ones I have and I am wiring them the exact same way. The pigtails are ones I got before and have used them, so I guess it is possible I picked out 2 duds, but doesn't seem likely.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, »
Have you tested them with a RGB light tester?  I've found the wire colors can change with the wind.  Have you tried wiring them differently?  You may want to check the wires at they connect to the node and see with the left the right order of the wire colors is on say the chip side.  Compare that to your old nodes.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, »
I hooked them up to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login using the colors I listed above and it worked perfectly. So I am at a total loss as to what needs fixed.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, »
What controller are you hooking them up to?

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, »
I've tried ssc v1 and v4
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, »
Are these known functioning controllers?

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, »
They work with the pixels I bought and used in 2014 show. I wanted to expand my trees and ordered the same ones.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, »
test the pigtails also, I've had those be bad and chase shadows for days not knowing. 

also confirm the wiring colors are correct ... don't assume some colors from year to year mean the same thing

sounds good that it works with the tester obviously

whats your wiring look like?

i.e. Computer -> switch -> Etherdongle -> Active Hub --> SSC V4 --> nodes
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, »
computer -> usb dongle -> active hub -> SSC v1 -> nodes.  I have a few V4s but need to get some more if I can not miss the next coop like I did this year.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, »
And I did check continuity with the pigtail and every wire was where it should be and continuous.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, »
Retest these nodes on the V4 SSC that you know is working (test it with old nodes first) and see if it can light the new nodes.  If so, then the SSC V1 simply doesn't put out enough voltage on the signal line to trigger these new nodes. 

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, »
I may have to just forget these nodes for now, I thought I had some V4s, but I can only find 2 of them, and they were both in my box of controllers that I couldn't get to program.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, »
If you have extra SSC V1's you could perform the V3 mod on them.  This will push the signal voltage up to what is needed to control these nodes.  I would try it on one and see what happens.