Author Topic: Active hub with 12 volt option  (Read 1123 times)

Offline spudman78

Active hub with 12 volt option
« on: December 03, 2015, »
I have a active hub with the 12 volt option installed. The 12 volt power supply I was using died. Came I just plug in a ATX power supply or do I need to remove something on the 12 volt option?

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Active hub with 12 volt option
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, »
Should be able to plug the power supply in and go.  I have a passive hub I have used either way.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, »
You should remove the 5V and 3.3V regulators before using an ATX supply.  The problem is that you will create loops between the regulators on the hub and the ones in the ATX supply.  They may fight with each other, waste power, and get hot.  You could just plug in the ATX supply with the regulators in place and see what happens.  It worked out ok for Jim but there is no 3.3V regulator on the passive hub so there is a bit of a difference.  If you do, keep an eye on the regulators and make sure that they are not getting hot and if so, remove them.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline spudman78

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, »
Thanks for the replies. I am sure it will work fine but I need this hub for my show this year. Instead of risking it I think I will pick up a 30 amp Meanwell to get me by. I am just using it to send Universe 4 to some 4 port hubs. Thanks again.

Kevin