Author Topic: cost of mini lights  (Read 2391 times)

Offline BryanV

cost of mini lights
« on: June 19, 2009, »
Just wondering what the average price is for 100 count mini lights in the USA.  I unfortunately get hosed in Canada and was paying regular price about 11.00 per string.  Found a few at 50% off after Christmas but this will break my bank budget when I need 20,000 more lights.
 >:(
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline davel295

Re: cost of mini lights
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, »
It all depends when you shop - 2 weeks after Christmas last year I got 100ct clear and 100ct multi at Wal-Mart for 60 cents a box. Lots of them.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, »
Same here. Year before that 50 cents a box. Came to $12.50 for a flat of 25. 
Leon

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, »
I checked every Lowes, HD and Target on the San Francisco Peninsula on Dec. 26 and found nothing (BTW, little-known fact: there are no WalMarts on the Peninsula -- personally, I'd have to drive about 35 miles to get to one).

I'm going to have to live with my 2008 minis, though I'll be adding about 1800-2300 LEDs and some MR-16s (at least six; maybe 12). Oh, and there were the 1000 white minis I bought for mini-trees that I never built  ...

I guess I'll be OK ;) ...

\dmc

Offline wbe12345

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, »
If I remmember before Christmas Wal-Mart pricing was around $3.

After Christmas Wal-Mart starts out around 25% then 50% and finally 75%off.
After that they throw them out.

Two Chrtistmases ago I bought 100 mini lights for 50cents per string(final mark down price).

It apears that timing is everything!

Wallace
wbe12345

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, »
It apears that timing is everything!

So true. Wait too long nothing is left. Don't wait long enough, don't get best price. It's a slippery slope.  :)
Leon

Offline REM

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, »
Well said. I was afraid to wait too long and got most of my stash at 50% off since supplies were dwindling rapidly at the 2 closest stores.  Sure enough it all was almost gone and just junk was left at 75% off.  Then a few days later I happened to go to another wal-mart farther away and found that they had a huge supply left at 75% off after I had spent my budget :(

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, »
I ran into a similar situation...   in town there are 3 Walmarts......    one was decimated quickly when 50% kicked in, the second was was low but still had good selection at the 50%, but was cleaned out quickly when the 75% kicked in  (I had bought about 50% of what I wanted).   The third still had good selection at the 75% and allowed me to fill the rest of my wants (and a few extra).   I went back a week later and there was still some stuff left at 90% off  but very little that  I was interested in and most was damaged.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, »
I bought all my colors at 50%. When I went back at 75%, all that was left was clear. Thats when I bought clear. For 2 years now I've observed people waiting unitil things went to 90% off, both years it NEVER happened. One day the shelves were clear and that was it.

I always feel the urge to wait to get the best deal but now I've realized to buy at 50% for my colors and don't look back.
Leon

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, »
I loaded up when things hit 50%.  A couple weeks later, when things had gone 75%, I was in lowes so I figured I would pull out the old receipt and see what happens........They price matched for me, and refunded the difference! 

The woman at the return desk did a double take at the receipt when she saw that I had bought 300 boxes of lights.  She said, "Is this right?"   ;D
Excess is Success

Offline wbe12345

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, »
Mr Kylec  did you have to have the 300 boxes with you??

I am going to try this "Buy all the lights I need at the beginning of the 2009 season for use Christmas 2010. Then go in when it’s markdown and have my receipt adjusted."

Any Comments???

Wallace
Wbe12345

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, »
I did the same, it's a hit and miss. I had to go to 2 different Lowes to get them to for hte price match. Some managers will say that they are on clearance and therefore will not price match the difference for you. You don't need to have the lights with you just the receipt.

Mr Kylec  did you have to have the 300 boxes with you??

I am going to try this "Buy all the lights I need at the beginning of the 2009 season for use Christmas 2010. Then go in when it’s markdown and have my receipt adjusted."

Any Comments???

Wallace
Wbe12345