Author Topic: 2016 Planning  (Read 1667 times)

lightsonlinden

2016 Planning
« on: December 07, 2015, »
Looking for some help - I am starting to think about 2016 planning. I have not done a show since 2013 and really wanted to do one this year but time go away from me.

In the past I used LightORama software and controllers but don't have the controllers any longer but I have 6 LE's that I bought earlier in the year.

I have not tested or tried any programming so was hoping someone can guide me on the set up/conversion to drive LE's.

All of my shows are in LOR and I think I should be able to use the LE's.

Lastly, I am looking to dabble into RGB primarily for floods and perhaps some dumb nodes.  Hoping someone can advise what I should buy to just get started to familiarize myself with the hardware needed and then the programming basics, etc.

Offline tbone321

Re: 2016 Planning
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, »
Things have come a long way in the past few years.  The LE's are DMX devices so anything that outputs DMX can control them.  I would look into xlights for the software if you are moving away from LOR.  One advantage of using xlights (besides it being free) is that it can convert your LOR sequences to its format.  This allows you to use a multitude of DMX output devices to control the LE's.  I would also look into the Falcon PI Player (FPP) as your show controller.  It has a great scheduler and is still under active development.  It is set up to run on the Raspberry PI which is a $35 micro computer and frees up your PC for other purposes such as creating the sequences.  It can also directly run xlights sequences with no conversion required. 

As far as RGB, dumb nodes are really a thing of the past.  The cost of smart string nodes have come down so much that there really isn't much of a reason to use them.  Many of the controllers such as the SSC have the ability to go into dumb string mode which will make a string of smart node act like a string of dumb nodes if needed.  Another reason for their demise is that much of the current software such as xlights and Vixen 3 have innovative ways to work with thousands of channels so the added work of 3 channels per node is no longer a big issue like it was with single channel grid type sequencing.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

lightsonlinden

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, »
tbone -

thanks for the reply -

I am looking around at some of the nodes for sale on ebay.   I see some that are 5v and others that are 12v.  Why would one choose one over the other?

Also I see they are typically sold in sets of 50.  What if I only need 25 or I want 125.. do you just cut and use what you need?

What is the typical hardware set up using RGB....   For example I wanted a simple mini tree or mega tree.  What would one all need hardware wise to make it function?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, »
Pixels can be 1 node up to 120 or even more per string.  Juar cut or add as needed.  Power and voltage are issues you need to be aware of.  12v gives you longer strings with no power injection.  Be sure to look at boscoyostudios.com for their christmas node mounting options.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

lightsonlinden

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, »
so I was watching some of the how to's by johnson lightshow.  He was showing a controller that he said had 16 ports saying it can control 170 pixels per port or in other words 2720 pixels.

Is a pixel the equivalent of one channel of the three colors in a pixel or is it the later a pixel controls one of the three colors?

He said the controller was a San Device e682.    Is this a typical device for folks who use RGB or are there other devices that are better / worse.

To run the said board how much power is needed?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am looking around at some of the nodes for sale on ebay.   I see some that are 5v and others that are 12v.  Why would one choose one over the other?

The 12V nodes are really just 5V nodes with some type of voltage regulator.  The primary advantage to the 12V nodes is that you can have longer strings without the need for power injection. 

Also I see they are typically sold in sets of 50.  What if I only need 25 or I want 125.. do you just cut and use what you need?

For the most part, yes.  If you look in the WIKI under smart strings, you will see a link to some of the ones that Ray sells.  He has different lengths and these are 12V.  Before you buy any, you really need to decide on a controller or controllers that you will be using and then make sure that they are supported by those controllers.

What is the typical hardware set up using RGB....   For example I wanted a simple mini tree or mega tree.  What would one all need hardware wise to make it function?

LOL, what sounds like a simple question has so many variables that it could take all night to answer.  If you were to go with DLA equipment, you would start off with an EDT (etherdongle) flashed with Pixelnet firmware.  For a minitree, you could use a smart string controller (SSC) and a smart string hub.  If you pan on continuing to use the LE's, then you would need the active hub to provide the DMX conversion.  For a megatree, you could use the Zeus which is basically a group of SSC's on one board.  There are two types, the 8 and 16 which have either 8 or 16 outputs.  As said before, this is just the DLA equipment.  There is a huge number of these devices available now both DIY and commercial so if you can't find what you need here, there are many other options.

lightsonlinden

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, »
Yes, that is what I am learning.  What I think is a simple question is really not when talking RGB.

I am looking to find some sort of set up to familiarize myself and determine if I am remotely smart enough to tackle a small scale RGB show.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, »
so I was watching some of the how to's by johnson lightshow.  He was showing a controller that he said had 16 ports saying it can control 170 pixels per port or in other words 2720 pixels.

That is a long string ad of you run them that long, then you would be better off using 12V strings.

Is a pixel the equivalent of one channel of the three colors in a pixel or is it the later a pixel controls one of the three colors?

A pixel is the complete unit consisting of the three colors.

He said the controller was a San Device e682.    Is this a typical device for folks who use RGB or are there other devices that are better / worse.

It is one of the many devices that people are using and seems to work well.  The advantage to it is that it is a complete E1.31 controller.  IOW, in DLA terms, it is a combination of an EDT, hub, and controllers.  It doesn't have any DMX output.  If you don't already have most of the equipment needed to run pixels, this is a good option.

To run the said board how much power is needed?

That really depends on how many nodes you want it to run.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, »
Yes, that is what I am learning.  What I think is a simple question is really not when talking RGB.

I am looking to find some sort of set up to familiarize myself and determine if I am remotely smart enough to tackle a small scale RGB show.

I don't think that being "smart enough" is much of an issue.  The newer versions of XLights and Vixen 3 do a lot of the work for you.  If you could create shown using 6 LE's on a grid type sequencer, you will have no problem creating them with RGB and the newer software.  The hardware is a little more difficult only because of the ever growing selection of it and what works with what but even with that, there is plenty of help in these groups.