Author Topic: RGB Question  (Read 1315 times)

Offline jbair

RGB Question
« on: December 15, 2015, »
I bought several Lynx Express kits years ago and never seemed to have time to do the build. Now that I am retired I am hoping that I have more spare time. My question is, does the Lynx Express control RGB light strings? It seems that it would be better to go RGB than separate strings for different colors. As you can tell I am still a beginner and don't know the complete story. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

Offline tbone321

Re: RGB Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, »
The LE is not a RGB controller.  It is a 120V AC controller.  As far as RGB light strings go, there are 2 types, smart strings and dumb strings and both use different types of controllers.  With dumb strings, the entire string changes to the desired color and the controller works by controlling the grounds for each of the three colors with one channel per color.  Smart strings OTOH, allow you to control each pixel (light) separately and requires 3 channels per pixel.  It does this by sending a serial control signal down the string and each pixel takes the first three bytes of data and passes along the rest.  Most of the smart string controllers also allow you to put them into dumb string mode where the entire string will act like a dumb string and be controlled by three channels.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jbair

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, »
Is there a controller available here that would control RGB? And thanks for the help.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, »
That really depends on RGB what?  If you are talking about smart strings then that would be the SSC (smart string controller) and there are a few for sale in the sale/trade forum but then you would also need a hub and something that outputs pixelnet.  If you are talking about dumb strings or devices, then you would need a DSC but you may have a harder time finding that.  With Christmas being around 8 days away, I really doubt that you have enough time to gather the equipment in time for this year.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jbair

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, »
Thanks for the info. I am looking to get started for next year... :)