Author Topic: Pixel identification  (Read 721 times)

Offline lrhorer

Pixel identification
« on: December 19, 2015, »
At the hardware level, how does the SSC identify each pixel node?  To put it another way, how does the controller know automatically which node is the first one on the string, which one the second, etc.?  I am going to be creating a starburst tree topper, which will require me to take a 75 count string and cut into at least 4 sections.  One could either extend the whole string with wires between each segment running from the end of one segment back over to where the new segment starts, or one could cut the string into 8 segments and wire all 8 segments together in parallel at the center of the star.  The latter would certainly be possible with a dumb string, but if the node assignments on a pixel string depend upon the physical order of the nodes on the string, then it will not work that way for a Smart String.

On a related note, what is the diameter of the nodes sold by Ray Wu?  I will be drilling holes in the substrate in which to insert the pixels, and how large those holes will be will influence my choice of substrate.

Offline tbone321

Re: Pixel identification
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, »
The SSC does not identify the nodes.  They are simply positional.  A node takes the first three bytes (channels) of the data stream and sends the rest on to the next node.  This continues until you either run out of data or nodes with the idea being that you run out of data at the last node.  If you use XLights, you can set up a model for your star to more easily make it do what you want it to do.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, »
Ah.  A tapered data stream.  I was wondering how they could keep the cost of the pixels so low.  Electrically, each one is identical. That's very clever.  Unfortunately it means I am going to have to string them in series.  It would work to hook them all up in parallel, but unfortunately that would mean each leg of the star would display the exact same pattern, so that every theme broadcast to the star would look like an inward or outward burst.  Of course it would also only use 1/8th of the node addresses, but I would much rather have the flexibility.  I'll have to run a jumper back from the end of the first seven arms to the input of the next string at the hub and solder 15 times as many connections, but c'est la vie.

I'm using Vixen 3, but setting up the pixel arrangement is easy there, too.

Offline galgon

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, »
One thing that might help on the soldering  side - only the data line needs to run serial. You could connect all 8 strings +/- lines in Parallel from a single source.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, »
'Excellent point.  'No special wire type, connectors, or anything.  I'm going to do just that, I think.  I'll create a medusa at the hub of polarized power connectors, then run a single wire from the end of every spoke back to the hub.  Thanks!