Author Topic: Partial success  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Blackbeard

Partial success
« on: June 20, 2009, »
I don't really know if this should go in this section or the dongle section, but this seems to be more appropriate.

I just finished hooking up power and four channel power cables for testing. The test was originally to see if my dongle was functional. Well I went ahead and ran the TST function of the firmware to see what happened. All went well, and the DMX light didn't light up. So that's normal. I hooked up my dongle and reran the TST and no dongle light.

Then I figured out I'd better run something that outputs DMX, so I fired up the config utility. I ran the TST again and this time success. So then I plugged in a set of lights to see how the TST did with them (just one string - don't won't to push my luck) and the lights fired as they were supposed to.

Now I realize that one string is not a complete success of the LE, but at least it worked up to that one channel.

I'm going to let the cut on my thumb stop bleeding from the utility knife I was using to strip the cords and put the last twelve cords on later today. This was a V2 board, and I've got a V3 built, so maybe I'll get that far along by evening.

Any way, I have partial success up til now. Wish me luck.

steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Partial success
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, »
Hi Steve

CONGRATS

Always good when you see the lights come on for the first time

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, »
Steve........   

bleeding is very normal with any DIY project.  so you are on track....

and Super Congrats on getting the lights....   

I was dancing up the stairs when I finally got my first blinky lights (connected to SSR4-DMX)....    (SWMBO statement.... "nice") 

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, »
Way to go Steve!

Good luck

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, »
Great! well all but the bleeding  :(   

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline memphislights

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, »
Suggestion, buy a nice wire stripper.  Saves time...   and fingers.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, »

When I was a kid -- the times were more tame and liability insurance wasn't an issue -- I'd hang out on residential construction sites and watch carpenters, electricians and plumbers. I picked up quite a bit and one particularly loquacious sparky told me that a wire stripper was a waste of a tool on his belt. He used what he called his "wire dikes" (or diagonal cutter) to strip insulation.

I've taken it as a matter of pride that in the ensuing 45 years, I have never purchased a wire stripper but I have stripped a lot of wire.

\dmc

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, »
That is definitely true.  I had to go through a training course recently for AT&T to learn how to install DSL (in the event of a work stoppage).  I was in class with a bunch of former linesmen and they gave me a lot of crap about not being good using the dikes to strip the wire.  I can do it, mind you, but I'm not as fast or as clean as they were.  It was good natured fun, but they would certainly never use the wire strippers.

Me on the other hand, I normally have a desk job, which is part of the reason I enjoy this DIY stuff so much.  For me a nice set of wire strippers reduce a lot of frustration and bleeding.  I have some similar to the ones in the link below and they work great.  I honestly can't remember where I got them, but ones like it that are spring loaded work very well.  No more bleeding for me, at least not from stripping wires.

Ron

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Congrats.  Careful, though, or you'll become known as Redbeard...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline memphislights

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, »
Also a time saver.

I did 192 channels of 3 conductor LE's + 3 conductor power cords.  I would have gone nuts doing those with dykes or a razor.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, »

When I was a kid -- the times were more tame and liability insurance wasn't an issue -- I'd hang out on residential construction sites and watch carpenters, electricians and plumbers. I picked up quite a bit and one particularly loquacious sparky told me that a wire stripper was a waste of a tool on his belt. He used what he called his "wire dikes" (or diagonal cutter) to strip insulation.

I've taken it as a matter of pride that in the ensuing 45 years, I have never purchased a wire stripper but I have stripped a lot of wire.

\dmc

Well... I had an Uncle that would determine if light sockets were live by putting a wet finger in the socket :o but I wouldn't recommend it! I've done my share of stripping wires with dikes too but it can nick/weaken the wires sometimes. My Montgomery Ward 30+ year strippers are still going strong for me!  :D

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, »
Funny thing is I've got a pair of strippers and I prefer the pocket knife or utility knife. The problem stemmed from the fact that the insulation on the $0.94 Walmart extension cords are a little rubbery and tend to grab the knife as I twisted it. I use the pocket knife for building cat5 cable all the time. Once I realized that the cords were not the usual hard insulation, all was well.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words.

steve

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, »
OK, so I'm not the fastest guy on the block, but I finally got around to testing a little further. I put the rest of the channel power cables on my LE V2 and set up a test sequence in Vixen with complete success. I now have confirmed 16 channels working with Vixen driving it. I think you all call it blinky flashy?

Best of all, no more bleeding as I now lay the extension cord down on some cardboard and strip the insulation with my utility knife. Nice and clean ends and no pulling with my teeth. (At 57 years old, I'm a little afraid of the teeth coming out along with the insulation - and their real teeth, not false ones).

I'm not sure I like the tinned ends of the power cables as much as I do with just bare wire, but I guess it's for the best.

Now, on to cabling and testing my LE V3 and building my other two LE V3's. Man, do I feel good.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, »
Excellent Steve.    It is a great feeling when it finally starts to come together.     

Onward and upward!!

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, »
Steve,

That makes two of us tonight.. Mine is working as well.. Congrats.. ;D

Randy