Author Topic: How does the ethernet data stream work?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline wftxlites

How does the ethernet data stream work?
« on: December 27, 2015, »
I am curious about the output to E.131 devices from various sequencing programs. For one Xlights. I'm wondering if the E1.31 data stream just get interpreted by the E1.31 devices as a straight up data stream of absolute addresses and then the E1.31 device decides what sort of output it makes based on the firmware. For instance, the lynx Ethernet dongle flashed with pixelnet firmware somehow knows based on the number of packets it receives whether or not it is DMX or Pixelnet.

The reason I am curious is because I cannot get the latest version of Xlights to drive an Active Hub from the XL software. I can place the fseq file on a player (FPP) and the output works as expected. I figured I would ask on this forum since I use the Lynx Ethernet dongle flashed with pixelnet firmware and an DLA Active Hub. I'm guessing that there is some common way the E1.31 data stream is outputted from any given sequencing program to be received by an E1.31 device.

Maybe there is no simple answer to my curiosity without getting highly technical. Which I know is taboo on the forum.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

Re: How does the ethernet data stream work?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, »
How many universes are you sending from xLights?  I think you need to send 32 if you are using a EtherDongle.  Are you using the same output config with FPP as with xLights?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am curious about the output to E.131 devices from various sequencing programs. For one Xlights. I'm wondering if the E1.31 data stream just get interpreted by the E1.31 devices as a straight up data stream of absolute addresses and then the E1.31 device decides what sort of output it makes based on the firmware. For instance, the lynx Ethernet dongle flashed with pixelnet firmware somehow knows based on the number of packets it receives whether or not it is DMX or Pixelnet.

That is for the most part correct.  Some of the more advanced E1.31 will allow you to define what channel numbers are output as what.  The EDT simply converts all that it receives into either PixelNet or DMX, depending on the firmware installed.  The ETD does not know or care what channel number is intended to be.  It converts ALL input to the either DMX or PixelNet depending again on the firmware that it is loaded with.  The smart hub OTOH, can convert part of the data stream from PixelNet to DMX depending on the jumper setting.

The reason I am curious is because I cannot get the latest version of Xlights to drive an Active Hub from the XL software. I can place the fseq file on a player (FPP) and the output works as expected. I figured I would ask on this forum since I use the Lynx Ethernet dongle flashed with pixelnet firmware and an DLA Active Hub. I'm guessing that there is some common way the E1.31 data stream is outputted from any given sequencing program to be received by an E1.31 device.

Remember that XL cannot directly drive an active hub since the hub is just a distribution point for PixelNet data streams.  If you mean that it cannot drive the hub through an ETD, then you need to look at your E1.31 definitions and make sure that you have the output enabled.  Up at the top of the screen you will see a light bulb icon.  Make sure that it is lit (yellow) or there will be no E1.31 output to the ETD.  Don't confuse that with the "enabled" text in the definition table because they are not the same thing.

Maybe there is no simple answer to my curiosity without getting highly technical. Which I know is taboo on the forum.

I don't think that the site is quite as restrictive as it once was but either way, it doesn't hurt to ask.  If things seem to be going to far, you will be notified but nothing here is even close to that.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, »
I have only 3 ETD Multicast universes and one extra USB defined on both XL and in the FPP. I will set up all 32 universes in XL and try again.

Thanks you guys for the explanations.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, »
I have only 3 ETD Multicast universes and one extra USB defined on both XL and in the FPP. I will set up all 32 universes in XL and try again.

Thanks you guys for the explanations.

I am driving E1.31 through an ETD to Active Hub running (4) universes (2) DMX and (2) PixelNet.  In XL, I just create (4) universes 1-2048 and run the tests from there.  I am using the MicroSSC from Falcon Christmas as well as the SSC's from here with no issues.  Maybe a screenshot of your settings in both would help?
- Mark

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, »
The FPP output works fine. It is the E131 output from XLights that has the issue.  Here are the setups.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, by wftxlites »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, »
As said before, it appears that you do not have light output turned on in XLights.  When it is turned on, all of the buttons under Lighting Networks except for "Save Setup" will be grayed out and in your screen shot, they are all still active.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wftxlites

Re: How does the ethernet data stream work? (Solved)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, »
Virtualbox interface on my PC was causing my issue. The interface had to be disabled. It was interfering with Xlights output.