Author Topic: meteor lights  (Read 3756 times)

Offline haymaker2k

meteor lights
« on: December 28, 2015, »
Hi all,

With the sales now on, I have been thinking of upgrading my lights to smart RGB.  One thing I was thinking of was the meteor light tubes, half price in my local garden centre at the moment (£12 for 5 50cm white light tubes) but would like to be able to have some control over them.  I have been looking around on the web for RGB tubes as I could then use them at Halloween too for dripping blood effect but cant find them controllable.  Would like to send a signal to the tube telling it to fire (with a selected colour if I find RGB tubes), is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Offline tbone321

Re: meteor lights
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, »
You can always make your own.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline haymaker2k

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, »
I did think about making some up but, would there be a way of have them just produce the effect by only sending a command to the first LED and having some sort of internal chip to cascade down the line?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, »
Since the strings and strips don't have that ability on there own, you would need to integrate a controller into each meteor tube, just like the commercial ones have.  You can get around designing your own by using a SSC from here or perhaps a Falcon Usc.  Either way, to do what you want you would need to write or rewrite the controllers firmware.  To me, that seems like a lot of work to actually limit what the tube can do.  I would build my own using a controller mentioned above with its firmware in tact and simply send the data required to make the tube do what you want.  XLights sequencing software actually makes this somewhat easy to do.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, »
Maybe something like this? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login