Hardware > Lynx Zeus

Resolved - What am I doing wrong?

(1/5) > >>

lrhorer:
As I mentioned before, I am making my first foray into RGB, and I am a little stumped by the behavior of my pixel systems.  I can't get them to talk properly to my strings.  For testing, I have two systems in play, both fed from a Lynx Etherdongle.

The first is a Zeus 16 feeding a 96 node string.  When I power the Zeus on, the string's first pixel usually (not always) lights, and nothing else.  I tried flashing the Zeus, and it seemed to work (the entire strings started flashing), but now I can't get anything from the Zeus other than that 1 continuous light, whether I try sending data from Vixen 3 or from the config tool.

The second is a 16 port active hub feeding an SSC.  It is a V1 modded to V3.  I verified I have 12V power on the SSC.  I can see the data steaming from Vixen or the config tool, as the case may be.

First of all, I want to verify my understanding that Vixen 3 does not require a driver for Pixelnet.  I read that one can employ the embedded E1.31 ACN streaming protocol.  The instructions for the plugin say to put it in the ~/plugin directory, but under Vixen 3 there is no such directory.

Assuming I am good up to the ETD output, how do I proceed in order to troubleshoot / fix this?

chrisatpsu:
Here's a good starting point 

Checklist...

__ Has the chips on the Zues been programmed?

__ Has the Etherdongle been programmed with the Pixelnet firmware?

__ Is the Etherdongle out port (black, doesn't have lights n the port) have a cable connected from it, to the 16 port Active Hub Pixelnet In port?

__ Is there a cable from the pixelnet output to the Zues?

__ Is the Active Hub being supplied with power from a computer power supply with all the white inputs being plugged in on the hub?

__ Does the Active hub have both pixelnet Universe jumpers set to "1"

__ Is your Zues Programmed for channel 1?

chrisatpsu:
Had to edit the checklist to change over to a Zues

I guess you can go straight to the Zues also, and forget about the active hub for now in testing..   forgot the zues also has a built in hub onboard.

taybrynn:
Is this a zeus v1 or v2 (v2 has 16 universe jumpers).  Shouldn't matter.

I would put the Zeus last, some of mine seemed to work best that way.  PLus having the active hub upstream allows
you to use it as a pixelnet splitter, which is handy and gives other connectivity options.

go from PC --> network sitch --> Etherdongle -> Active Hub ---(PNout)---> Zeus  ch#1--> 96 node string
                                                                                 |
                                                                                 +---------SSC ---> rgb test string?

Makes sure the Zeus is terminated, unless your using that universe downstream, in the example above you would not, so terminate it.

Make sure all PIC chips are flashes with firmware.

Makes sure all zeus channels are programmed that you want to use.

Make sure the smart string utility you use to program them is the right version, this is here is gets confusing.  Go to the wiki -> smart strings for the links.
The ss utility for the zeus and ssc are not the same!   Even betweem ssc v3 and ssc v4 ... also not the same.
So make sure you program the zues with the ss zeus utility (under zeus in the wiki).
and make sure you program the ssc v3 mod with the ssc v3 utility (Not the zeus version).

You might want to download lights and use its tester ... might at least eliminate any potential vixen problems for now.

If you get it working with the xlights tester, then switch to vixen 3 after that.

lrhorer:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Has the chips on the Zues been programmed?
--- End quote ---
How do I check for sure?  I did not build any of this equipment.  I've read through using a PIC programmer, but I don't have it working, yet.  Is there a preferred / required compiler I should choose?  The MPLAB software won't come up unless I choose one.  (Or did I select the wrong target somewhere?)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Has the Etherdongle been programmed with the Pixelnet firmware?
--- End quote ---
I think so.  It says so on the label.

'Same question.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Is the Etherdongle out port (black, doesn't have lights n the port) have a cable connected from it, to the 16 port Active Hub Pixelnet In port?
--- End quote ---
When I am testing the hub, yes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Is there a cable from the pixelnet output to the Zues?
--- End quote ---
When I am testing the Zeus, yes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Is the Active Hub being supplied with power from a computer power supply with all the white inputs being plugged in on the hub?
--- End quote ---
Yes.  The 12V supply option kit is on its way from Mouser.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Does the Active hub have both pixelnet Universe jumpers set to "1"
--- End quote ---
Yes

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login__ Is your Zues Programmed for channel 1?

--- End quote ---
Huh?  I have tried setting the first address to one on the Zeus using the SSC programming tool V2, if that is what you mean.  If not, then I don't know what you mean.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version