Author Topic: DMX SSC?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline lrhorer

DMX SSC?
« on: January 13, 2016, »
Hey, I have a question.  Could the PIC in an SSC be re-flashed to handle plain DMX-512?  I have an idea for an application that only requires about 50 pixels or so.  That is enough to make it too expensive and too large to control via a DC DMX Dimmer, but much smaller than justifies an ETD.  I've already posted a request for a couple of old USB dongles, but DMX USB dongles can be had off E-Bay for a small outlay.  (Plus I have a couple of spares sitting around.)

If this works, I think there might be a demand out there for single or double string applications to a maximum of 170 pixels.  I'm designing a decorative lamp fixture.  Someone the other day mentioned wearable pixels.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

DMX SSC?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, »
What player are you using?  Some can use those USB rs485 dongles to output PixelNet.

EDIT:  I saw you say Pi Zero in another thread.  If you hookup a rs485 chip to the onboard serial port on the Pi GPIO header, you may be able to use it to send PixelNet.  I need to test that sometime on the zero but I think FPP supports PixelNet on the onboard serial, IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, by CaptainMurdoch »

Offline lrhorer

Re: DMX SSC?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What player are you using?
It would be FPP.

Some can use those USB rs485 dongles to output PixelNet.
Wow.  Really?  That would be slick.  I have a couple of Anyma clones and a couple of DMXKing Micro USB controllers I won't be using next year.  Do you have any idea if those would work?  It would even allow one to go as high as 4096 channels / 1365 pixels.  Way cool.

EDIT:  I saw you say Pi Zero in another thread.  If you hookup a rs485 chip to the onboard serial port on the Pi GPIO header, you may be able to use it to send PixelNet.  I need to test that sometime on the zero but I think FPP supports PixelNet on the onboard serial, IIRC.
That wouldn't be too shabby, either.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, »
I bought a couple of devices like this last year (from a different seller) and have successfully used them to test pixelnet strings using a 4 port hub. 

There is also work going on to drive a small quantity of 5v pixels direct from a RPI.  That may be something you might be interest in.  I do not know more on this just saying I have seen posts about the activity.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, »
Hmm.  'Certainly economical.  This is in the planning stage, so all options are open.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, »
FPP supports driving both ws2801 and ws281x/tm1804 pixels connected directly to the Pi GPIO header.  There was an issue with the Pi v2 B but that has been resolved in the master branch so the v2 B works now and we expect the Zero does as well since it is more like a B+ than a v2B.