Author Topic: RBDS for Radio Broadcast?  (Read 848 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
RBDS for Radio Broadcast?
« on: January 28, 2016, »
Anybody use RBDS while they broadcast their show FM signal?

(RBDS, is the part that makes information show up in most car radios about either the station they are listening to, or the artist/ song they are listening to.)

Anybody use it?

If so what equipment did you use?

I think it would be neat to post information, like the number of lights or, number of channels, etc...   while your show is playing...
maybe even a countdown a couple days before letting people know in case they drive by a little early?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: RBDS for Radio Broadcast?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, »
 Are you talking about RDS ?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, »
Yes, rbds is the term for rds used in the US.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, »
I used RDS a couple year with my EDM transmitter (the RDS version of the LCD transmitter).  It requires/includes a special data cable that goes to a serial port (ugh) that then talks to the minirds (free) software which reads a file (like RDS.txt or something) ... you can choose various modes of RDS scrolling or presentation.

When use with LOR, they had a command option (per sequence) where I would run a windows .bat file that would essentially put the name of the song into the file that minirds reads (is checking for changes) ... and it transmits to the RDS anything in that file basically ... fairly short text, one liners.

I think xlights has the same capability to send a command prompt per sequence?

Also, I think for those using the Falcon Player (or similar) ... there seems to be a lot of folks using the V-FMT212R ... and I think you need a usb mixer also ... not sure the quality to as good as EDM.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, »
Basically its kind of clunky ... even when it works ... and the same people who don't turn off their headlights ... certainly won't do it because it says to on their FM radio.  THe same jerks who do rude things ... will continue to, despite all sorts of things I have tried using RDS and even my tune to sign ... lol