Author Topic: lynx newbie  (Read 1150 times)

Offline aesl1982

lynx newbie
« on: February 24, 2016, »
im  newbie to lynx express controllers, I got rid of lor and went to e3.31 and then lynx for my ac lights. I don't have my falcoln v2's yet, but I think Ive read its as easy as setting the controller number on the lynx and then daisy chaining them off the rs485 port with cat 5. now my question is that I currently have an alpha pix 4 at home for testing purposes it will be sold or trashed when the falcolns get here lol. but how or can the lynx be hooked up to the alphapix? or what is another way or testing the controller to make sure it is functioning properly

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: lynx newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, »
The easiest is to connect it to a DMX dongle thats attached to your PC.

There is a lynx USB DMX dongle that works good, and an entec is commercially similar.

Those using smart strings here, typically run E1.31 (say from an etherdongle) into an active hub ... and the active hub
has a dmx out port on it.  Then connect the express to that DMX out port.

If you use wireless, then the DMX out goes to the DLA Lynx Tx unit.  THen each express has a ex/rx (receiver) on it ... that then gets the 512 wireless dmx channels.

Once you get your f16v2, you'll have a configurable port you can set to DMX and connect the express to that, then daisy chain the others after that.  Each express has a built in spitter (two dmx outs) ... so you can always run both outputs to two different expresses ... and each of those can be daisy chained.  At the end of each run, terminate that express with the jumper.

I'd be careful to make sure you alphapix is not still configured for LOR.  Because it means the wiring the DMX out port is wrong, because  LOR DMX is not true dmx, so I'd guess you have to set it to DMX (not LOR) in the alphapix to make sure the right wires are getting the dmx signal.   Google LOR DMX convertor and you'll see images of the conversion that needs to occur.  I suspect if this alphapix worked with your LOR units, then it will NOT work with an express till you change it to standard DMX.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline aesl1982

Re: lynx newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, »
I've never used the alphapix with LOR. It's brand new as of about two months. I got it hooked up right and this issue solved with a call to holiday Coro. Just the other issue were working on now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk