Author Topic: Need a little help  (Read 2858 times)

Offline aesl1982

Need a little help
« on: February 24, 2016, »
Got the Lynx hooked up connected the board test mode works good. I go into xlights and go to test mode. Output to lights on select channel one and hit on and all 16 turn on. When I turn off output to lights or hit stop. They all stay in. I have to reset controller to get lights to go off. So two issues. How come it's turning all channels on. And why won't they go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Need a little help
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, »
Let me say these are express controllers I just sold you -- and I know they work fine.  I would never sell anything with a problem ever.
So I'd like to help get you going if I can.

Here is where we left off last night:

I have Ethernet running from computer to a network switch. Network switch to alpha pix 4. And Cat5 from dmx port on alphapix to Lynx. Lynx set to 001

I don't know how the alphapix 4 works, as I don't have one, but will assume its an E1.31 input from your network hub and you have some kind of DMX out capability from the alphapix.

(1) What range of E1.31 channels are you using in your xlights setup?  Are they configured as e1.31 ?
(2) I"m assuming you have the express jumpered across both pins on the wireless, since you are not using wireless.
(3) I'm assuming the unit is terminated
(4) I'm assuming there are no LOR controllers or other non standard DMX units in the signal chain
     (you can do LOR with DMX but remember its non-standard DMX so you have to convert it)
(5) any screen prints of your setup in xlights would be helpful ... also I've found the xlights test mode in current beta versions
     might be erractic or unreliable ...
(6) so the express is set to unit 001 correct ?
(7) You are not using any other models in your sequence which also use channels 1-16, correct?  This is a common thing you
      test it on an easy range like 1-16 ... but if your sequence uses these for any other models in the sequence, then those models
      will turn on the express channels by accident.  I would suggest maybe setter the express to a less common range, something
     you have never used in a sequence previously ... like channel 401 or something, instead of 1.  Just curious if you would still have
     the problem then... again, 401 assumes you have never used 401-416 for other models.
(8) Can you explain exactly how the DMX out on the alpha pix 4 works and is configured.  I attached a picture, thinking maybe this is how you attach the DMX out?   I only saw one RJ45 jack on the alpha pix ... so how to connect the E1.31 and the DMX on this board?  Does your DMX out connect to the alpha with wires instead of a jack?  Are the wires in the correct order?  Hint: don't wire it like you would for non std LOR DMX.  Wire for std DMX.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline aesl1982

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, »
Let me say these are express controllers I just sold you -- and I know they work fine.  I would never sell anything with a problem ever.
So I'd like to help get you going if I can.

Here is where we left off last night:

I have Ethernet running from computer to a network switch. Network switch to alpha pix 4. And Cat5 from dmx port on alphapix to Lynx. Lynx set to 001

I don't know how the alphapix 4 works, as I don't have one, but will assume its an E1.31 input from your network hub and you have some kind of DMX out capability from the alphapix.

(1) What range of E1.31 channels are you using in your xlights setup?  Are they configured as e1.31 ? the dmx is set to universe 50 on alpha pix, and xlights uni 50 chan 1-512

(2) I"m assuming you have the express jumpered across both pins on the wireless, since you are not using wireless. yes
(3) I'm assuming the unit is terminatedyes
(4) I'm assuming there are no LOR controllers or other non standard DMX units in the signal chain
     (you can do LOR with DMX but remember its non-standard DMX so you have to convert it)no lor
(5) any screen prints of your setup in xlights would be helpful ... also I've found the xlights test mode in current beta versions
     might be erractic or unreliable ... ill get screen shots when I get home. not using the xlights test mode anymore
(6) so the express is set to unit 001 correct ?yes
(7) You are not using any other models in your sequence which also use channels 1-16, correct?  This is a common thing you
      test it on an easy range like 1-16 ... but if your sequence uses these for any other models in the sequence, then those models
      will turn on the express channels by accident.  I would suggest maybe setter the express to a less common range, something
     you have never used in a sequence previously ... like channel 401 or something, instead of 1.  Just curious if you would still have
     the problem then... again, 401 assumes you have never used 401-416 for other models.I will try this for sure, and may be the issue as I created new models to play with lynx with. only used the new models in my sequence though. but ill try to delete them.
(8) Can you explain exactly how the DMX out on the alpha pix 4 works and is configured.  I attached a picture, thinking maybe this is how you attach the DMX out?   I only saw one RJ45 jack on the alpha pix ... so how to connect the E1.31 and the DMX on this board?  Does your DMX out connect to the alpha with wires instead of a jack?  Are the wires in the correct order?  Hint: don't wire it like you would for non std LOR DMX.  Wire for std DMX.
I have the orange wire of caat 5 going to DMX+ and the orange/white going to DMX-. (holiday coro told me that's how to wire up the dmx output)

Offline aesl1982

Need a little help
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, »
also please don't think im implying or saying the controllers arent good. I know they are good and its something im not doing right, the on board test functions work perfect,. so I know the boards are good.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, by aesl1982 »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, »
THanks ... well I'll help if I can.  As my post above shows, I don't know much about the alpha pix. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline aesl1982

Need a little help
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, »
THanks ... well I'll help if I can.  As my post above shows, I don't know much about the alpha pix.
yah it's a pos honestly I think. Only reason I haven't drove a hammer threw it is because I need it to test everything till my falcolns come in lol. I got it working for what I need it to do as of now. I'll try those things tonight and get back with Ya I'll try take a video also

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, by aesl1982 »

Offline aesl1982

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, »

Offline aesl1982

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, »
Video of the issues

Offline aesl1982

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, »
I even changed controller to channel 161. Then made a model of channel 267. In reality the controller shouldn't do anything. But it turns all channels on again when I hit play and that layout model of 267 doesn't even match controller 161

Offline aesl1982

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, »
Promblem is solved. Something stupid  I got wrong info from holiday Coro and the stripe goes to + and solid goes to - now it works like charm. Thanks tsybrynn

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, »
I think you have the white/orange stripe and orange/white strip mixed up. The White with orange stipe should be positive and the orange with white  stripe should be negative.
Jeff Squires