Author Topic: Lynx Express vs Minleon Express  (Read 4338 times)

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
Lynx Express vs Minleon Express
« on: March 12, 2016, »
I am in the process of moving from LOR to Pi/FPP.  Abased on the great results I have seen from William Bottomley's similar move, I have chosen to replace most if not all of my LOR controllers with Lynx Express.  I just noticed that Minleon is offering the same controllers.  And the only thing I can see physically different is the nice fitted case and the fuse holder.  I tried a search here on the site to see if these were compared and contrasted with the Lynx Express, but could not find that.  What else is different with Lynx ?  Is the firmware the same or different ?

I appreciate any help figuring this out.  Minleon is a great company and the fact that they are selling the same controllers is another good reason for me to move. 
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Lynx Express vs Minleon Express
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, »
The Minleon is the Lynx Express, commercially available. It comes already assembled, and is more in line with people who just want to buy their software, and go build a show, without much of the need for knowing how it gets put together.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, »
The things that I can recall is there are no light curves.  Total amperage is I think half.  Each channel is 2 vs 6amps.  No wireless connectors.  Most of these may or may not be of importance.  Overall it's a nice board if your willing to pay the price.  But then a LOR Gen 3 is nice also for a similar price when on sale.  I would consider a used well built Lynx Express first.

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The things that I can recall is there are no light curves.  Total amperage is I think half.  Each channel is 2 vs 6amps.  No wireless connectors.  Most of these may or may not be of importance.  Overall it's a nice board if your willing to pay the price.  But then a LOR Gen 3 is nice also for a similar price when on sale.  I would consider a used well built Lynx Express first.

Ah !  So they did improve the BOM on the Minleon ? No light curves implies it runs on different firmware (I am guessing).   I am curious why those changes are not offered on the LE too ?
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, »
I personally would not view the minleon version as upgraded in any way.  Its a commercial (for sale) version that is more off the shelf available ... but the lack of wireless is the only major difference ... but thats one of the coolest features of the regular LE.  The amperage difference is also fairly major con, but not if your not using higher amps per channel.  FOr me, I rarely used high amps even when my show was all mini lights based.  But otherwise, I doubt there is any firmware enhancements.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, »
I personally would not view the minleon version as upgraded in any way.  Its a commercial (for sale) version that is more off the shelf available ... but the lack of wireless is the only major difference ... but thats one of the coolest features of the regular LE.  The amperage difference is also fairly major con, but not if your not using higher amps per channel.  FOr me, I rarely used high amps even when my show was all mini lights based.  But otherwise, I doubt there is any firmware enhancements.

I am keeping a handful of LOR controllers, mostly for the power handling.  I bought a bunch of LE today, plus one ME.  I'll keep that one for higher power stuff.  I appreciate all the info here.  I was not keeping track of things on this site when the LE was designed.  I preferred LOR to the older controllers that RJ had designed.  But the LE looks to be a great controller, and easier on the wallet.  I am moving everything to DMX to run xLights and the Falcon Pi Player (FPP), including migrating all my old LOR sequences.  The wireless LE is really cool, but now with FPP the whole computer is wireless.  You can run a hundred thousand channels on one $35 pi computer.  But also multiple Pi computers can all stay in sync with FPP, completely wireless from the master to the slaves.  These LE controllers are perfect for the AC side of the Pi solutions.  Check it out at FalconChristmas.com
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, »
What is the difference between the DMX 2 output on Lynx Express, and the DMX Splitter output on the Minleon Express ?

Does anyone know of a comparison chart between the two boxes, that contrasts all the differences.  I am a first timer for Lynx, and I picked up a handful of LEs plus one ME.
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, »
I don't think an official comparison chart was every made.

Different markets -- commercial vs. DIY

Minleon to me offers nothing over the LE but for the most part they are essentially about the same.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, »
Basically it comes down to...  If you're wanting to learn in this hobby, and don't mind learning how to use a soldering iron. get the LE.

if you don't ever want to do anything like that, and just buy stuff to throw a show together, then get the minlion.

I believe RJ mentioned that it would not be offered here, as it's licensed to be a commercial product by a company. This is why you don't see product information for it on this site.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, »
Basically it comes down to...  If you're wanting to learn in this hobby, and don't mind learning how to use a soldering iron. get the LE.

if you don't ever want to do anything like that, and just buy stuff to throw a show together, then get the minlion.

I believe RJ mentioned that it would not be offered here, as it's licensed to be a commercial product by a company. This is why you don't see product information for it on this site.

Thanks.  I build most of my own gear, and designed computers for 30 years.  I moving away from LOR and going almost entirely ME, so I'm trying to learn the details.  Particularly what Minleon might be doing with their SPLITTER output.  Is it truly a redriven DMX signal on the ME, or just a passive "Y" ?  Same question for DMX2 on the LE.
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, »
The DMX2 out on the LE is regen ... and DMX1 out on the LE is not.  I haven't seen a huge difference but do prefer the DMX2 for some reason.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, »
On the LE, the DMX 1 output is simply a splitter output so what goes in on the DMX in comes out there, noise and all.  The DMX 2 out OTOH, is a regenerated output.  Here are a few things to keep in mind.  If you are using the wireless module on the LE, the DMX 2 output is the only output that will work on that LE,  The DMX 1 out and the DMX in are wired in parallel to each other so if there is no signal on the DMX in jack, then there is no signal out on the DMX 1 out either.  The termination jumper is directly related to the DMX 1 out connector.  If you have a line connected to the DMX 1 out, then the terminator is off, if not, then it needs to be set to on, regardless of what is happening with DMX 2. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, »
On the LE, the DMX 1 output is simply a splitter output so what goes in on the DMX in comes out there, noise and all.  The DMX 2 out OTOH, is a regenerated output.  Here are a few things to keep in mind.  If you are using the wireless module on the LE, the DMX 2 output is the only output that will work on that LE,  The DMX 1 out and the DMX in are wired in parallel to each other so if there is no signal on the DMX in jack, then there is no signal out on the DMX 1 out either.  The termination jumper is directly related to the DMX 1 out connector.  If you have a line connected to the DMX 1 out, then the terminator is off, if not, then it needs to be set to on, regardless of what is happening with DMX 2.

Excellent info.  Very much appreciated.  I am really starting to like these LE controllers!  I've put a dozen of my LOR controllers up for sale .. 
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, »
I am really starting to like these LE controllers!  I've put a dozen of my LOR controllers up for sale ..

You'll be like me...  All of them will be gone. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, »
I am really starting to like these LE controllers!  I've put a dozen of my LOR controllers up for sale ..

You'll be like me...  All of them will be gone.

THANKS William ...  Yes, It's headed that way.  I figured I'd start with half of my controllers as a start.  But you're right .. the rest are doomed. 

I am also moving from LOR Sequencing to xLights Sequencing, and the Falcon Pi Player.  Being able to run on 3 computers at the same time is very exciting.  I retired last Fall and bought my "retirement" house.  So I'm retooling everything.  Like being a beginner all over again ..

Where's the best place to list my LOR controllers for sale ?  I tried the LOR Facebook site but apparently they are frowning on people selling stuff there. 
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com