Author Topic: CG1500 Boxes for Lynx Express  (Read 4824 times)

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
CG1500 Boxes for Lynx Express
« on: March 18, 2016, »
I acquired a handful of assembled Lynx Express and I plan to order a bunch of Lynx Express kits.  I noticed that my Cableguard CG1500 boxes don't fir the screw holes for the LE.  But some of the CG1500 that I bought assembled have CG1500 that have the correct holes.  Where can I order the CG1500 that fit the LE??

Also is there any place I can buy the Minleon Express empty boxes ?
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: CG1500 Boxes for Lynx Express
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, »
I know there was a change in the cg 1500's a couple years ago. most have built a brace that screws into the new cg1500. then it has the correct holes for the LE.   as the minleon is a commercial product. you would have to try to contact minleon.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, »
The hole placement for the LE are based off an old version of the CG1500 series (they were changed about two years ago....apparently they think it's for cable organization and not Christmas lights...crazy isn't it?).  The new ones take some DIY magic to make work with the LE, but I think they are still the best enclosure for the board and cost.  If you hurry, there is a pre-sale going on at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login where you can get them for $11.50/pc.

If you're looking for the Minleon case, they're $40 and you can find them:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps....Duane

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, »
I mounted most of my LE boards into the CG-1500 with simple methods and never any problems.

Yes, the newer enclosures don't match the holes anymore ... but if you even use a simple piece of coro ... mount it to the case, then mount the board onto the coro ... it works great.  I'm sure other non conductive materials might work better than coro ... but for my purposes it worked great over the years.   
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, »
Just drill another hole in the PCB.  Make sure you don't hit a trace. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, »
That is just asking for trouble.  Not only do you have to worry about damaging a trace, you could also crack the PCB.  It is far safer to either make a mounting plate for the LE or drill holes in the CG1500 and use standoffs on the LE to mount it in the case. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, »
That is just asking for trouble.  Not only do you have to worry about damaging a trace, you could also crack the PCB.  It is far safer to either make a mounting plate for the LE or drill holes in the CG1500 and use standoffs on the LE to mount it in the case.

Some good points.  But it sure seems like they sell enough of these that they could have moved a few holes in the gerber by now...  to save their customers the extra headache.

I love the Minleon case but $40 seems crazy high.  I guess it must be the labor to install the power switch.
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, »

I drilled what few I had and they still work great to this day.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, »
Yes, the top and bottom traces are very visible.  I have not seen an replies from engineers who might know these raw cards.  Is this just a two layer board or does it have internal traces? 

William, it would be nice if you could show a pic or two showing which holes you drilled ??

I am also curious why RJ wouldn't move a few holes in the raw cards.  It would not cost anything to do it.

The drilling itself is not that complex.  It is easier when you use high RPMs to avoid any tearing into the grain, and of course nice sharp drill bits.  I've never seen any cracking from hand drilled holes and worked with PCBs for most of my 30 year career.
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, »
If I am not mistaken the newer v5.1 cards match up perfectly to the new CG1500 cases. I know the boards from the co-op last year mounted to the cg1500 i bought from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login with no issues at all. I think it is more of an issue with the older version 5 cards not matching the newer boxes.

I had one of the older cards that I had inherited that I ended up using a nylon cutting board that I cut into one inch strips to mount into the newer CG1500 case. I think someone here on the forums recommended it and it worked out great.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, »

I drilled what few I had and they still work great to this day.

I am not saying that it can't be done as it obviously can be but there are many people here with various skill levels and sometimes the people with the higher skill levels get lazy and can damage the board.  My point is that it is easier to deal with a screw-up on the case than it is on the board and IMHO,  the board looks like crap with a bunch of extra holes in it. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, »
If I am not mistaken the newer v5.1 cards match up perfectly to the new CG1500 cases. I know the boards from the co-op last year mounted to the cg1500 i bought from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login with no issues at all. I think it is more of an issue with the older version 5 cards not matching the newer boxes.

I had one of the older cards that I had inherited that I ended up using a nylon cutting board that I cut into one inch strips to mount into the newer CG1500 case. I think someone here on the forums recommended it and it worked out great.

Ah !  You might have broken the code on the CG1500 cases.  These are not listed as CableGuard, they are AFL.  There is a strong possibility that these have the screw pattern that will fit the older LE boards.  The reason I am asking all this is because I am going to buy 14 or 15 kits that came from the last two group buys .. last year.  I'll get one of these cases to see if they are different !  They are $13.50 .. which is only $2 more than the current group buys for CG1500.  I appreciate the link !!
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, »
Denny... if they're 5.1 version kits... you will have no problem out of the newer CG-1500 enclosures.

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, »
Denny... if they're 5.1 version kits... you will have no problem out of the newer CG-1500 enclosures.

Yes, this will be tricky.  So I ordered one of the AFL boxes, because the kits are from older group buys.  Some might be from two years ago.  I'll have to ask him.  But I'll have the kits in my hand, check them, then order the right CG boxes.

We're also trying to find some cheap extension cords.  A couple of the LEs that I bought a couple months ago have extension cords for the channel outputs.  They are quite nice with the ability to plug in 3 strings, plus they are several feet long .. which I need for 4 of them on my megatree.

Does anyone know a place to buy extension cords cheap ?
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline wbottomley

• High Country Lights
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, »
I don't.  I make my own out of zip cord and vampire plugs.