Author Topic: Searching for Output Wire Sets for Lynx Express boxes  (Read 5809 times)

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
We started talking about this topic inside another topic so I thought it would be nice to be on its own.

I am looking for wire sets for Lynx Express.  I know I can use SPT2 cables and females.  But I picked up a couple used Lynx Express that had the female ends of extension cords on them.  I like this idea and have been looking around to find some.  I'll be building and running approximately 20 LEs this year.  Others from our local club may also want suggestions for theirs.  Here's a quote from a post I received:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Try the dollar stores for extension cords.  I've used a bunch of them.

I like this idea and I checked a couple stores.  They didn't have any extension cords.  LOWES had some in Brown and White for $1.53 each.   I hoped to find some on eBay for a bulk deal but no luck there yet.  Searching for small extension cords is not simple on eBay ..  If anyone has some links for cheap SPT based extension cords.  It would be nice to be able to buy them in bulk, such as 50 sets at a time.  3' or 4' long would be perfect.
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline tbone321

If you go on the dollar store web site, you can order these extension cords in boxes of 50 for $50.00. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
If you go on the dollar store web site, you can order these extension cords in boxes of 50 for $50.00.

Excellent.  That never dawned on me.  Good one!
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009

Bummer !  I just went to their website and found 4' green extension cords listed for $.77 each.  Great ..  But ...  $5000 minimum order.  Apparently their whole site is $5000 minimum.

Do you know of another site that does not have this huge minimum ?
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
related FYI -- I have found the dollar start cat5 to be of inferior quality ... they work sometimes but the wires used are tiny tiny poor quality.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
related FYI -- I have found the dollar start cat5 to be of inferior quality ... they work sometimes but the wires used are tiny tiny poor quality.

Agreed.  I am sure they are CCA (Copper clad aluminum) and not solid copper.  You always want to avoid CCA for Cat-5 if you can.  Good comment !

This post is more about the 16 output channels .. and the wires for them ..
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I did this myself in the past, used the female ends of the cheap spt2 extensions I have obtained at the "after christmas" 90% clearance sales.  Some were triple tap females, which were really nice.

However, considering how rare those sales have become anymore ... I think going with spt2 and the female vampire plugs is probably you most cost effective route.

There are typically group buys on the female vampire plugs on various Christmas boards.    I did a bunch with those are they worked great.

Actionlighting also have them for around $.50 each

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
i went into an outlet store here locally called "Ollies", not sure if they are in your area or not. i found 6' cords for a 1.50 or so and told the manager, i will give you 1.00 a piece for all of the cords in the box, he countered with 1.25 and i took it. neither of new how many cords were in the box but it ended up being 83. by the time we got to the register, and counted them, he gave them to me for a 1.00. negotiate with the manager a little, sometimes it works, some times it don't.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
I sold some of mine a d I used the female ends of cords that I picked up at dollar tree for a buck each.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline rjhodgefamily

I ordered a bunch of these last year You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. They are a little beefy because they have the ground wire. Nice thing is that because they have the ground wire if you use a regular extension cord you do not have to remove your ground pin. Just cut the ground short on the pig tail and use some electrical tape or shrink tube to make it water tight and you are good to go. I did have to drill an extra hole in the CG1500 to make all of them fit because they are beefier.

It is nice to have them all the same length though. As long as you are buying for at least 3 boards the price isn't too bad at $1.30 apiece. They also have 1 foot ones for a $1.02 but I figured those would be too short.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, by rjhodgefamily »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Searching for Output Wire Sets for Lynx Express boxes
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, »
i picked up extension cords from walmart back when they were 88cents each. not sure what the price is now.  try the bulk stores too, sams club, costco, etc...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline salongaopm

I know this is a few months old thread but just in case you're still looking, try the link below:

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
I know this is a few months old thread but just in case you're still looking, try the link below:

Excellent.  I had tried them once before and could not order them.  This time they took my order.  THANKS for posting !

Denny Cole
Clayton NC
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline tbone321

I knew it was dollar something.  Just ordered 2 cases myself.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
Re: Searching for Output Wire Sets for Lynx Express boxes
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, »
I know I am a little late on this, but I order my power cords and cat5 cords from MONOPRICE.COM
They have many colors, lengths, etc.

I use the 3 prong 1 or 3 foot extension cords and cut one end off to attach to the express.  Gives it a nice look, allows me to put grommets thru the case for the round cords and is clean.

I seem to pay about 1- 1.25 per cord for 1 footers and a little more for the 3 footers.

SHipping is reasonable and they turnaround the orders fast.

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!