Author Topic: Searching for Output Wire Sets for Lynx Express boxes  (Read 5808 times)

Offline rjhodgefamily

Re: Searching for Output Wire Sets for Lynx Express boxes
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, »
Hey Mike,

I also use the monoprice 3 prong wires, however have struggled with making them all fit. You don't happen to have a picture of how you did the Grommets by any chance?

Thanks,
Richard

Offline tbone321

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, »
The LE was not designed to use 3 wire cables.  There is no earth ground on the board and the CG1500 is a plastic case.  Most of the items it is designed to dim are two wire Christmas lights so what exactly is the point of using the more expensive and thicker 3 wire cords?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, »
The biggest reason for me is that I cover an entire cul-de-sac. So we use a lot of orange extension cords. Personally I prefer not cutting the ground off of the more expensive orange extension cords. I realize I probably could do it cheaper with vampire plugs and what not but since I typically involve the neighbors we use what we have instead of spending more money. So the extra 30 cents per cable is normally worth it to me. I just cut the ground back and heat shrink it or electric tape it to the insulated cable.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so what exactly is the point of using the more expensive and thicker 3 wire cords?

I use the same monoprice round wires as above because I run the wires through grommets to keep all the creepy crawlers out of my box. I use the weatherproof cat5 connectors for the same reason. I've never had any fried critters or other electrical problems this way, and it gives me peace of mind, which is worth the few extra bucks in cost.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, by bisquit476 »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, »
When I had LE's, I ran the 3-conductor monoprice cables and just carried the grounds through to the receptacles.  I figured that one day I might plug in something with a ground so I was prepared and I also liked the cleaner look of the black round cables vs a bundle of SPT or Dollar Store extension cords.

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, »
This grommet version is gorgeous and adds nice water proofing protection.  For those concerned about moisture, this is the best design I've seen here! Looks like it adds about $10 to $15 more per controller to buy the more expensive 3 wire ends, and a lot of grommets.  I am comparing to the SPT2 wire and ends, or to the $.50 Dollar store extension cords.  Both of those ideas cost about the same. 

I am going to experiment with sizing FOUR grommets to each hold 4 SPT2 wires tight.  This keeps the cost lower since I have to a lot to build.  Six of mine will have Dollar store ends, and the majority will be SPT2.  I hope to get the 4 wires tight in each of four grommets, and might just add a dab of silicone to each one.  If it gets too much, I might cave in and just tie-wrap groups of 4 wires on the holes already provided. 

Since 2009 I have never seen water get into a CG type case, as long as it was mounted vertical.  I also try to make sure the top of the CG cases are always against a board or a mounting surface, to be sure the water cannot drive horizontal into the top edge of the case.  I make a yard stands that hold 4 CG1500 cases (two each side back to back). I prime and paint the frames good.  But to make them last longer I usually put a large black garbage bag over the top.  They hide better in the dark that way too.  But I did get lazy last Christmas :-)
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com