Author Topic: LE - output power when not supposed to  (Read 2882 times)

Offline winwin

LE - output power when not supposed to
« on: November 28, 2015, »
I have an LE Express with one channel that outputs power all the time. The LE responds well to DMX signal, the LEDs works well, all seems OK exact for that channel that has always power, even if the corresponding LED is off.
This is the third year I use this LE and it has always worked fine. Problem just came up today as I was testing the devices.
Any idea how to resolve this would be appreciated!
AL.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: LE - output power when not supposed to
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, »
Most likely the triac on that channel is stuck on.  I have one or two that way.  The only way to correct it is to replace the triac on that channel.  I think there are quite a few postings on how to verify that is the issue.  If I remember, it involves removing the opto-isolator and seeing if the power is still on that channel.  If so, bad triac.

HIH,
-Keith

Offline winwin

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, »
Thanks Keith, hopefully it won't be too  difficult to narrow this down and fix.
AL.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, »
Yes, just remove the OPTO and see if the channel stays on.  If so, then the triac has fried and will need to be replaced.  The Triac will act like a large heat sink so it is better to cut it free of its pins before attempting to unsolder the pins from the board.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline winwin

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, »
Thanks tbone.
I have read quite a few postings since I posted earlier this morning. it seems that all of them had bad triacs and none when the opto was culprit. Maybe I'll be the exception. It sure does not seem fun to replace the triac. If it is the opto, I'll change it now but if it is the triac, I will wait for after the season; luckily I have a couple of spare channels and I can reassign the bad one to a spare one.
As for the reason for the failure, we can rule out moisture, rain, cold... as all my LE are inside and have never  been set outside.
AL.

Offline winwin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, »
I never fixed the LE with the stuck channel on but I am getting ready to do it. I need to buy the parts though;

Looking at the LE manual and mouser list:
Triac:
Mouser Part #: 511-BTA06-600S
Manufacturer Part #: BTA06-600SRG
Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
Description: Triacs 6 Amp 600 Volt

Opto (I think this is the one)
Mouser Part #: 859-MOC3023
Manufacturer Part #: MOC3023
Manufacturer: Lite-On
Description: Triac & SCR Output Optocouplers Optocoupler TRIAC

If I get them from Tayda, would these be the correct equivalent parts:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

thanks in advance for your recommendations

AL.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, »
As said before, the opto is probably fine but is easy to test.  Just take the opto from the dead channel and put it on a known working channel and see what happens.  If the channel continues to work, then the opto is good and of not, then it needs to be replaced.  The triac that you found seems to be compatible with the original and should work.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline winwin

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, »
thanks again for your help tbone and for confirming the part should work. I'll give it a try hopefully in a near future... there is still plenty of time to get it done but I have already wasted 6 months!
AL.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, »
Hey Bernard, I think I may have a couple of these parts.  I will look tomorrow.  Call me and you can stop by and pick one up.  Then again, it may cost more in gas than in shipping.  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline winwin

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, »
Let me know Jim if that's the case and that you do not have a use for them any longer. The cost of gas is nothing compared to the pleasure of seeing you again!
AL.