Author Topic: Heathkit Chips  (Read 1167 times)

Offline galgon

Heathkit Chips
« on: July 20, 2016, »
This is quite random but this is the only place I thought may have someone with the answer.   I found a box of Chips in my wife's grandfathers house (he passed away many years go).  Doing a little research the chips are from a Heathkit based on the part numbers.  Heathkit sold kits to build of things like ham radios, clocks, and other home electronics may year ago.  My guess is these are from the mid to late 70s.  However only having the chips it is hard to know what project the chips were slated for.  Below is the list of chips and a description I could find online.  Does anyone have an idea as to what type of electronic component these would be used to build?  It would be really interesting to know what he was trying to build.

443-54    7403N    Quad 2-input NAND (OC)
443-25    74151N   8:1 Multiplexer
443-46    7402N   Quad 2-Input NOR
443-53      7442N   4:10 Line Decoder
443-90    74123   Dual Retriggerable Monostable
443-612   74193   Binary Counter
443-680   7495    Shift Register
443-694   F9368DC   7-Segment Decoder Driver Latch
443-698   7486N    Quad 2-Input Exclusive OR
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
Re: Heathkit Chips
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, »
Hard to say as Heathkit made such a large range of kits in the 70's...
They could have been spares from various kits...
If from a single kit then something with a 7 segment display but that doesn't narrow it down too much...

Now of course since you mentioned your wife's grandfather and the 70's I feel kinda old cuz I put together Heathkits in the 70s...   
zappedmyself.com

Offline DonFL

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, »
I echo the "heathkit in the '70s" feeling..not to mention feeling a bit of nostalgia for the 7400 series ICs  :)

Heathkit offered some education and training equipment, a "digital trainer" being one of them, that might explain the random assortment. 

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, »
 In the early 60s my dad made the first color TV in the neighborhood and it was a Heathkit.  I built a good many heathkits in the later 60s and early 70s.  Those are the early discrete digital parts.  That kind of logic is still used today, but the voltages and currents are much different from today's standards.  Possibly useful in some industrial applications, but would be hit and miss to find some who can use them.  Might not even be too useful for beginner students .. possibly for some home puttering around. 

AND OR NAND and NOR are simple digital logic devices.  The 7 segment device drives the number display such as on a clock.  Those are the old fashioned numbers that looked like a squared off "8" .  They have 7 line-segments to make up the number 8.  Different combinations of the line segments make up the different numbers on the display.  So the driver took care of that for you. 
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com