Author Topic: Wireless Beta Closed!  (Read 2401 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Wireless Beta Closed!
« on: June 26, 2009, »
We have official closed the beta on the wireless. Much work went in to providing the members with the best devices we could and many small changes have been made to do so.

One thing I want everyone to understand is these are wireless devices and as so can be affected by other outside effects. I want everyone to understand that if you require perfection than you should not use wireless (or DMX for that matter as it is not fault tolerant).

We have done exhaustive testing on the system and find that, while very rarely, we can detect very infrequent random 25ms errors in the output sometimes requiring an hour or more of staring at a controller repeating a sequence to detect. This appears as a slight flicker for 25 ms and then perfect output again.

The nature of this system is such that perfection was never its goal. It is an extremely cost effective system for replacing all of the data cables in your DMX shows. For the cost of making one controller wireless using a commercial product

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can make 10 controllers wireless with this system. And add more at a cost as low as under $20 each! Plus these can be completely in the case of the controller.

To put it into perspective none of the beta testers nor I could detect anything in a normal show only in repeating test patterns. But no one should make uninformed decisions on this or anything else such as what controllers to use so we want you to be informed with a complete disclosure of what we found in beta.

Neither I nor any of the three beta testers are hesitating on the wireless for our shows and are in fact are very excited on the outcome of the beta testing.

If you have any questions on the wireless feel free to contact one of our beta testers to ask Wbuehler, Vairmoose, Ron or I.

Please at this time check your count on the coops and make sure they are correct as we prepare to close them out and move forward with orders.

The coops for the PCB’s and Parts will close Monday June 29th at 8:00 PM E.S.T.
I am very happy to be able to share a cost effective wireless system to the DLA members.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
Re: Wireless Beta Closed!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, »
That's great news RJ. Thanks to the four of you for all your hard work. I followed the beta thread and know it was a sometimes challenging test run. I have full confidence it will work as good if not better than any commercial wireless controller on the market.

Again...Thanks guys.

Brad

2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, »
You can make 10 controllers wireless with this system. And add more at a cost as low as under $20 each! Plus these can be completely in the case of the controller.

Hmmm,... don't remember seeing this limitation. I have to go back to the drawing board on my plans. Could you perhaps point me to the post I missed for a further explaination of how it all works. (I mean number of receivers allowed, configuration etc.)

Thanks for all the hard work to you and all the Beta testers!!!   :D

Leon
Leon

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

I believe he was comparing pricing, not unit number limitations.   You could have an infinite number of receivers on dmx wireless, if you were using multiple lights on the same channels, for instance.  He was comparing the price of that system, and what you could get, 10, with the Lynx system, at comparable prices.

Wireless here is simply picking up a broadcast from the transmitter.  Just as infinite FM radios can pick up a FM broadcast.  But these radio receivers are less expensive, roughly 10 to 1, as he was showing.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, »
Yes, Keith is correct that is not a limit just a price comparison. You can have as many controllers on each universe as you wish no limit at all the 32 unit limit on DMX does not apply to it as each reciever could drive 32 devices itself.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline dr. jones

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, »

One thing I want everyone to understand is these are wireless devices and as so can be affected by other outside effects. I want everyone to understand that if you require perfection than you should not use wireless (or DMX for that matter as it is not fault tolerant).

RJ

Thus the reason DMX is not used for life safety devices nor is it used for pyro (and it should never be used for such)