Author Topic: trying to get a zeus version 1 going  (Read 2336 times)

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
trying to get a zeus version 1 going
« on: January 01, 2017, »
I built a merry christmas sign with RGB Pixels. I am finally trying to finish it up and run it with a Zeus 8 port version 1 controller.

I purchased a dedicated 12 volt power supply from Holiday Coro and mounted everything in a CG1500 case. 

My first element is the Merry part of the sign.  I have tested the pixels using an SSC3 and everything seems to work.  I then made a 6 foot cable to go from the Zeus to the sign and went to program the starting channel for the first port. 
I am setting the first channel to 513 and their are 47 pixels.

I connected the Zeus to my etherdongle and fired up the correct programmer.   I set the correct parameters and put the program jumper on.  When I hit program all 47 pixels flash rapidly white.

I then shutoff the programmer, powered down the Zeus, and removed the programming jumper and repowered the zeus.

Now both in LSP 2.8 and Xlights I am not getting any pixels to blink in test mode.  once in a while I get one of the first three pixels stuck in either white or green mode, but nothing seems to be responding to LSP or Xlights when I am trying to test them.

Any ideas?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: trying to get a zeus version 1 going
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, »
Are you expecting the channels you programmed to be in pixelnet universe #1 or some other universe (like 2,3,4) ?

I recall always having to program it with jumper on universe#1 and then you have to remember to change to 2,3,4 afterwards if u#1 is not what you want.

Also, if you have continued problems, you might want to try the Falcon firmware (flashed on all 4 pic(s)) for ssc v4 and the usc ssc programmer instead.

Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmciver

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, »
Scott,

Thanks for replying!

I programmed them with jumpers on universe 1 and kind of expected the universes to be 4096 channel universes(pixelnet), am I wrong.

That brinks up a good point though, since LSP and Xlights are sending out E.131 do I have to do something different there with the controller setup on the universes?

As far as reflashing, the problem is that I will have to come up with a SSC version 4, i currently just have version 3's that have been modded.

Mike.
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, »
Just a couple of questions.   Are you setting the Zeus start channel to the same number as the SSC you were testing with.  How are you connecting the Zeus to the system?  I hope that it is connected either to the EDT or to the PixelNet output of the hub and not a controller output. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mmciver

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, »
Great questions.

I used an ssc3 in test mode to cycle the pixels thru their color change sequences.  Everything seemed to work well on the pixels.
I am using the rectangle plastic pixels.

I have not had the pixels running from LSP or Xlights using the SSC's due to waiting for some parts to put a new power supply on the SmartHub to make sure I have enough power.

I have a dedicated power supply on the Zeus 8.  It is wired directly to my Etherdongle with a 10 foot ethernet cat 6 cable.

When I started the proper programmer and set the start address to 513 I got the proper response from the pixels, they flashed white.

After that I tried LSP and Xlights to run a short sequence and test and received no output.

Also, currently this is the only string on the Zeus and it has 47 pixels.

Mike.
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!