Author Topic: Channel Numbering?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline DanHouston

Channel Numbering?
« on: November 03, 2016, »
So, I've read a few posts and seen the channel number spreadsheet, but I'm not totally clear.

I am adding some smart strings and thus pixelnet to my setup. I want universe #1 of DMX (1-512) to come out of the active hub. Does that mean I should start my smart strings at channel 513 if I do not want them doing the same thing as the 512 channels of DMX?

Thanks!
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline CaptainMurdoch

Re: Channel Numbering?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, »
Yes.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, »
Thanks!
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, »
If you don't have a full 512 channels of DMX, you could start your pixelnet at a lower number.

For example in my show, i use 40 channels of DMX (2 Expresses, and 2 Aether II's) my pixelnet stuff starts at channel 41.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, »
While that works, I personally would avoid doing that unless you really need the channels now.  Due to limitations with the firmware on the active hub that were never fixed, IIRC, you are restricted to the first 512 PixelNet channels for DMX use.  If you start your PixelNet channels right after your known DMX and then want to add another DMX device such as a fogger or another LE, you would need to renumber your entire show to fit it in.  If you are positive that you will not be adding any further DMX or are tight on PixelNet channels, then it makes sense to start the PixelNet channel numbering as soon as possible.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, »
That's just it, I'm dropping DMX stuff in favor of pixelnet. So it works for me.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, »
That's cool.  I will always have AC controllers in my display so the chances are pretty good that I will also need some DMX.  I am pretty sure that the number of DMX channels will never exceed 512 so I feel confident starting pixel channel numbers at 513.  I also have the advantage of having a few controllers so I can dedicate my DMX to my USB DMX controller and any PixelNet channels to my EDT.  Actually, if you use FPP to control your show, you should be able to use any channel you want because you can always remap the DMX channels to the proper controller but that could get confusing.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving