Author Topic: Hanging C9's on the roof line. How do I?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Hanging C9's on the roof line. How do I?
« on: July 03, 2009, »
This year I am gonna try giving the roof line the added wow that I couldn't last year. I have bought (during the after x-mas sales) several colors including multi and plan on having up to 6 different combinations to include RGBW soft white and multi. I have eight strings of each color to be able to run the complete roof line. Trouble is, I was planning on using shingle tabs  and just ran the numbers.  1,200 shingle tabs. OUCH!  Checked the cost. OUCH!!!!

Anyone have some suggestions? perhaps I can mount a set or 2 and then tie wrap the others to them?  I'm not sure.

Thanks

Leon

BTW - Those red ceramic C9's worked GREAT with the SSR4 and man the color..... sweet!
Leon

Offline REM

Re: Hanging C9's on the roof line. How do I?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, »
I've never run lights on my roof line but I do recall Holdman making some comments about that.  He said that if he did it again he would consider mounting them to wood strips or something to just lay up there. Not sure how he planned to secure them but maybe sandbags?  You might also put some kind of metal tab you could slide way up under a shingle and maybe even throw in a temp roofing nail.  You might even consider making the mounting tabs permanent to use every year.  Anyway, it's a thought.

--Ron

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, »
Someone, on one of the boards used binder clips.

Randy

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, »
I'm seriously considering this product for this year.  I saw it last year at the Lone Star Holiday Workshop but wasn't planning on putting lights on my roof line.  This year I am going to, so I need to figure out some way to do it as well.  I just got a new roof and painted the house so I'd rather not grab a bunch of shingle clips.  This setup looks like it works well and appears to be pretty reasonable.  The guy that sells them is very nice to deal with as well.

An example:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can get them from here:

Ron

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, »
Sorry, this is the link I was looking for:

I think that you can get them in smaller quantities than are listed on this site if you contact them directly.

Ron

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, »
I wire tied my light strings to a the plastic coated metal clothesline wire. The lines are hooked into eyelets screwed into the house  fascia. All I have to do is clip the ends in and tighten up the turnbuckles. On the long runs I just screw in some hooks here and there into the fascia to hold up the weight in between ends. When I want to take them down unhook and roll up into nice neat bundle.

Michael
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, »
Labor intensive, with hundreds of C7/C9 clips, screwed individually with self-tapping screws to an 8' section of drywall corner bead... but I liked the effect.  Easy to screw up and down to the wood fascia.  (I'm so particular about everything in a straight line; wish I could help it but I can't!)

I wish I still had those C9 strings and could refit them with LED Retros :-(

Good Luck,
John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline 31swford

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, »
Not sure what your roof looks like but we have shingles on our and we are looking at pvc strips.  Read about it on planetchristmas. Member there used 1 inch pvc/vinyl J-siding--drilled holes down in, the c9's mount perfectly into it and they all stay straight. It comes in 10 foot sections but is easily cut for whatever size you need.  I have made 1 set to see how it would work and that is what we will be using this year. I spaced it about 3 1/2 inchs apart and used 3 different colors.  Cost about 5 dollars per 10 foot section at Home Depot and is lightweight.  We plan to attach ours with zip ties at various intervals to our gutterguard at the screw holes and at the vent holes at the top of the house.  The wind is not bad where we live. Might be an issue for some however should hold as well as shingle tabs. See attached photo. Pic is worth a thousand words.....

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, »
Now, I am as anal about straight lines as anyone. I also have a pretty steep pitched roof and considered many options. The best I came across with was the shingle clips but I bought them on clearance from Target for .50 a box. I bought enough for three 18 gallon totes to be filled with them. Labor intensive yes but I found it was the most economical route at the moment.

I have seen people use the small pieces of trim wood then configure an attachment piece to get them in a permanent easy to  setup and take down strip. they sell the pieces of wood in 8 ft section and you would have to store them permanently like that because you would be attaching the lights then folding them up and storing them long peices of wood.  I am going to try and find the site that I saw it on but it was a good alternative to my method of single light single clip underneath every shingle.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, »
Should've already said "Thankyou" to all for responding. Believe me I'm still mulling it over as the very frugal part of me wants a good solution but for "as cheap as possible"  :)

Thanks again all.

I'll check back again for the link. I appreciate it!

Leon
Leon