Author Topic: Smart String Utility and Windows 10  (Read 2463 times)

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Smart String Utility and Windows 10
« on: November 14, 2016, »
Is it possible Windows 10 is messing up my ability to program start channels on my SSC and DSC?  I can not get any of them to take a start channel. I have even re-flashed the firmware. Of course they work on Channels 1-3, but well that is not really what I am looking for in animated lights.  I am using the ether dongle, but I could use my 7 year old USB dongle. If any of you think this is an issue is there a different way to program my DSC?  I look forward to in comments.

-Kevin

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Smart String Utility and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, »
If you have an older windows laptop sitting around, you could try programming it from that instead?

You can always try physically removing the old software, then re-installing (from wiki for SSC v4) ...

Make sure its always the exact software utility listed for the SSC v4 and in that section of the wiki.

I've found every time I program say a Zeus, I re-install that  exact version of the programmer first,
they look about the same, but they are not interchangeable.

So when I go program a SSC v4, I install that one utlity first.  There is only one file you need to replace if you
want to short cut the installation process.

Rumor has it the Falcon firmware for the SSC v4 also work on the SSC v4 with the test jumper removed, but I haven't
actually done it.   I know many others who have done it.  Its advantage is you can program and re-program "in the field" ...
ymmv

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, »
I will try that process.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, »
I just put the Falcon firmware on one of my SSCs and used the Falcon programmer and it is working beautifully. Love changing the program jumper to a test jumper so I knew the SSC and string were working before I programmed a start channel.

Thanks for the tip taybrynn!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, by DanHouston »
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, »
My issue is not with the sacred as much as the DSC. Falcon has no solution. I am hoping it is my mistake and not a Windows 10 issue.