Author Topic: Questions about the Lynx Express  (Read 1564 times)

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
Questions about the Lynx Express
« on: November 14, 2016, »
Seems like information on these is scattered around.  Trying to figure out how to get one or two of my own but don't know where to start or what my options even are.

• Are these made any longer?  If so, are they only available through private sale fully assembled or are there kits I can buy?
  • There seems to be mention of multiple versions.  I've heard of version 4, 5, 5.1...etc.  Is there any documentation of the differences and what is the most current

Any help or guidance would be *greatly* appreciated!

Offline Tigman009

Re: Questions about the Lynx Express
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, »
You need to go to the for sale and post what you want. I have been lucky enough and got 4 this year.

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, »
Normally there is a coop to buy kits each year. This year the coop ran into a problem as they were not able to find a source for the heat sync, which caused the coop to be canceled. Hopefully there will be one next year. So as tigman009 said the only way to get some for this season is to post in the for sell forum that you are looking to buy some.

Version 5.1 is the latest version of the pcb functionality wise the versions are identical newer versions have fewer parts if I remember when I was looking into it.

Richard

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seems like information on these is scattered around.  Trying to figure out how to get one or two of my own but don't know where to start or what my options even are.

• Are these made any longer?  If so, are they only available through private sale fully assembled or are there kits I can buy?
  • There seems to be mention of multiple versions.  I've heard of version 4, 5, 5.1...etc.  Is there any documentation of the differences and what is the most current

Any help or guidance would be *greatly* appreciated!

The best design started with Version 5.0.  I have avoided the Version 4.x since I was starting over and replacing a large number of LOR controllers with Lynx.  I wanted the consistency.  The Version 5.0 mounting holes were drilled to fit the original CG cases.  I think they had a different name from CableGuard, but they are no longer available.  The Version 5.0 will fit the new CG1500 cases best if you use a mounting plate.  William Bottomley is using about 40 Version 5.0 Lynx Express controllers and he drilled some new holes .. being careful not to hit any internal wiring.  If you are not technical then I don't recommend trying the re-drilling. 

Version 5.1 was a slight extension of the 5.0 design.  Most notably for users was the changes to hole drilling to fit directly into the current CableGuard CG1500 cases.  I have found the Version 5.0 and Version 5.1 to work perfectly with no detectable difference.  There is probably a good description of the 5.0/5.1 differences in the Wiki, but I have not found any need for that. 

I love these little controllers for an "all DMX" display. 
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline basis21b

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, »
Here is a link to the Wiki that describes what changed with each version.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As an example, the difference between the version 4.0 and version 5.0 PCB was to add resistors that add extra load to each circuit.  The load is often referred to with the term snubber.  It helps in situations where the LED strings do not draw enough power to completely shut off.  While it is convenient to have them on the board you can easily construct your own.  Additionally version 5.0 added the features to allow a reset of the board using a jumper and an additional LED to use to diagnose if the board is receiving a DMX signal.

I've used Version 4 and version 5 of the boards for years with no difference in their behavior.  I think I might have a version 3 back on the shelf in case of emergency.  That version was a bit of a PITA due to the need to remove the RS485 chip when you wanted to use it wireless.  The major part of that pain being the need to keep track of where in the world I put the darn thing (chip).
Tom B