Author Topic: pixelnet dongle programming problem  (Read 3276 times)

Offline enjoylife22

pixelnet dongle programming problem
« on: November 18, 2016, »
I am having a problem that I see in a few of the threads and would like some input.  I flash the dongle with the pixelnet hex and it won't work. I take it back to dmx and everything just fine.  Flash it back to pixelnet and again not good.  I can get it to program once in awhile correctly but from pulling in out in and out I broke a few of the legs off and now had to buy a new chip.  This all started because when I fired up my equipment this year it wasn't working.  No green light with pixelnet flash does not work full green light it works fine(only got it once).  Now I can't even read the new pic18f chips I bought.  I am using a bread board and a Pickit2 programmer.  Programmer will not recognize any of the chips even the old chip (jumper wire to what is left of pin 1 on chip). I can read all of my SSC with this programmer but not the Pic18f.  So I have ordered a Programming board because I have bought to bread boards and they worked for a minute then can't get it to work now.  I also have read somethings that you have to use a pickit3 so I ordered one.  I guess what I am asking is why will the pic18 chip flash sometimes and not other with the pixelnet.  Is there another way that I can do it on a bread board I did see something with a cap added?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: pixelnet dongle programming problem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, »
Breadboard setup for programming the pic used in the USB Dongle.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After you flash for pixelnet, what are you connecting to the USB Dongle?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline enjoylife22

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, »
Yes I have used this breadboard set up. I am hooking it up to an active hub  It won't program ssc through the active hub and it won't turn on channels to the express like it did before. Now it won't even read the pic chip says it is not read. I'm thinking the pickit 2 might be bad to read pic18 chips. It won't even read the brand new chips I bought

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, »
I can't help with the PIC programming issue you are having, but once you get past that are you sure the dongle was not working? Could it have been the SSC was not working (since you mention it would not program)?

How are you testing the dongle?

I only ask because a number of us were/are having issues getting the SSC programmed and there have been a few workaround posted. For me it ended up being to use a different firmware on the SSC.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, »
It might also be a good idea to send your chips off to someone that can program them for you...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is a list.

Since we're dealing with a USB Dongle, an active hub, and ssc's, I would send any pics you suspect you might have an issue with.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline enjoylife22

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, »
I was able to program them last year and it was simple this year when I started up my gear no go. So I just ordered a pickit 3 and a programming board. So I will test it out on this should be here next week. Just real mysterious on why it stopped working from last year when I did test this year. Guess that's what I get for starting so late keep telling myself to start making sure everything works by sept.