Author Topic: Random lights turning on  (Read 895 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Random lights turning on
« on: November 20, 2016, »
Ok, been using the same setup for years. This year I am seeing an issue I have never seen before. I got everything setup a few days ago. Ran some test sequences then shut the computer off and left power to controllers. Just yesterday I found when I got home a few channels turned themselves on. I thought oh great. A bad triac but looked at the express and noticed the channels were actually on. I hit reset and they went out.  This happened three separate times last night. Funny thing each time it happened no channel turned itself on more than once. The last time it was multiple controllers.

Thoughts

Noise in data lines turning lights on.
My first run from dongle to express is 100'.
Damaged ethernet somewhere.
My computer/dongle were powered off.
Some neighbors hacked my off comouter .

I turned my computer/dongle on to see if that stops it. I could run a new off sequence at off hours to help if needed.

Any ideas?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

Re: Random lights turning on
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, »
The expresses have been known to do that, I had the same problem.  As long as they are receiving DMX data you are ok, but if the incoming DMX signal stops then they may eventually turn on channels randomly.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, »
Echoing what the Capt. says, you either need to keep the computer on OR turn the expresses off. They are picking up stray signals when the dongle is off and turning on channels.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, »
And to think know I was hoping it was a hacker. Thanks guys I feel much better now.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, »
This is not just an Express problem.  I have seen it in the nodes as well when a node in the middle of the string fails and the nodes after it can light up in random colors.  You have a few choices here. 

1.  Leave the computer on.
2.  Shut down the whole system including power to the lights and Expresses.
3.  Connect your dongle to the PC thru a powered USB hub.

If the dongle has power, it will keep sending an all off DMX string until told to do something else so that will keep your LE's turned off.  You need to make sure that the powered USB hub continues to send power when the PC is off.  Many of those are listed as having charging capability.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, »
I went the easy route, turned the computer on. The show will begin in a few days anyways