Author Topic: Triac Repair  (Read 1426 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Triac Repair
« on: November 29, 2016, »
Had a couple of Triac's stuck in the ON position. When I turned the board over to replace the triac the damage was worst then I anticipated. In the picture the trace is attached but sticking up in the air. As you can see a portion of the board has been burnt leaving a small hole. It appears the other two legs have not been damaged. Can I repair this by soldering the trace back onto the triac leg or is this channel toast!!   

Offline tbone321

Re: Triac Repair
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, »
Either solder the trace back to the triac leg or create a small jumper to replace the trace.  The other two pads appear to be in tact and between them and the heat sink, the triac should be secured properly.  That looks like a huge load really cooked that triac.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, »
That's the thing, the load only consist of two strands of incandescent 100 count mini lights. Very small load. I'm not sure what would have caused that much damage. This is my 5th year with the same load on that channel. It controls a portion of my mega tree and all the other channels have the load.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, »
I would check the strings.  There may be a partial short, especially during bad weather causing an excessive current draw.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, »
Good point, will do. Thanks