Author Topic: Creative Help  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Opopanax

Creative Help
« on: December 04, 2016, »
hey folks. The last time I did a big display was right before my twins were born. They're turning 5 next month... so I am way out of practice on this.

I picked up 16 strands of smart RGB (and controller). They're ribbon style. In the past I used zip ties to mount them on PVC pipe and then hung the pipe along the house.

I want to do something different this year. Mainly because I think the extra wires I had to lay for the RBG on my house caused some issues with the signal (colors didn't always line up correctly).

I thought of trying to make a tree, or even just have it hand down from the house, but the PVC is too flexible to remain stiff enough. It simply bends and well the whole thing collapses. I even have a nice Ash tree in my front yard I was going to use, but again I need something easier and stiffer than the PVC piping - or I need some completely other option.

Anyone have suggestions on what I can do? The simplier the better since the only time I get to do this is while I'm being "helped" by my 3 kids. Bonus for anything that would not require me to get on the roof. Ladder is okay though.

I can post  link to the type of lights I have if that helps. Wasn't sure if that was considered a faux pas here or not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, by Opopanax »

Offline caretaker

Re: Creative Help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, »
Take some 1/2" emt (electrical conduit) and cut it to make it about 4 to 6 inches longer than your strips. Drill holes in the ends of the emt and paint them flat black. When dry use 1/2" emt couplings to "connect" the 2 pieces of emt for each strip and zip tie your strips to them.  Now you just need to build a center pole with a top that has hooks (for each strip your going to hang) then run a wire through the hole on one end of the emt and hang it from your "center pole" and use some small nylon rope and stakes to secure th other end to the ground. If you look around enough you can find pictures here on how other have made mega trees with strips.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Opopanax

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, »
Thanks caretaker for the suggestion. I'll look into the EMT. Thankfully, home depot delivers (since I only have a sedan and have to take the kids shopping. Means no renting trucks for me). I think the toughest part of that solution is needing a way to actually cut the EMT. Looks like the best hand tool (according to google at least) is using a hacksaw.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, »
EMT cuts just fine with a pipe cutter.  Not one of those PVC tubing cutters, but an actual pipe cutter.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, »
Saw's All with metal blade works well. But if your short on tools hack saw or tubing cuter works great.  If you buy extra couplings you can cut it in lengths to fit your vehicle once you get it outside the store then reconnect with the couplings at home.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, »
You could always to arches.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login