Author Topic: Express co-op?  (Read 18213 times)

Offline rjhodgefamily

Re: Express co-op?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, »
If I remember right RJ actually designed The Minion Express for commercial production. Here is the original post about it from 2013. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, »
I started out last April or May needing 20 LE kits.  Kept trying to pester the Coop to get the design issue worked out, or look for aftermarket parts.  Certainly they are out there.  By October I was able to find all I needed, plus a couple spares. 

I have a Minleon and it works exactly the same.  The Minleon is a little more compact and it has an external power switch on the custom case.  But I really never found a use for that power switch.  I'm not going to walk around and manually turn them all off.  Minleon does not support wireless, but I don't use that feature. 

As for the future growth, I'd rather build two LE kits for the price of one Minleon.
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, »
Is maybe the renard lune of dmx to ac lights an option? I have never used them but dave pitts has. He said they worked fine. I think they come in 16,32,48 and 96 output flavors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, »
You have to be careful with the Renard boards.   I've had problems with them in the past,  flickers and ghosting to name some.   

I have soldered a couple of those cheap SMD kits on eBay.   I would definitely recommend it to people to help them get up to speed with soldering.   We could have the board retain all the regular through hole components and then just have that one SMD driver chip to worry about.   
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline kidcole

• Light Crazy Since 2009
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, »
Ditto.  I've had lots of problems with Renard 24 SS controllers in DMX mode.  YUK !  My friend William Bottomley sold over 40 LOR and replaced them all with Lynx Express.  He loves them!  I am doing the same.

These are nice simple controllers.  Their firmware has been solid for years.  ...the way to go for AC lights.  I have not tried other stuff here because I use Sandevices and Falcon.  But that's the beauty of DLA ..  Their products integrate well with most anything. 
Thanks,

Denny Cole
ChristmasCarolina.com

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, »
If nothing else, a PCB coop would be great.  These are a really reliable AC 16ch controller, better than the LOR PC16 IMHO ... and 1/2 the price ... and DMX wireless capable.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, »
I sadly would not count on any future LE coops since they would require a re-design and I really doubt that RJ is going to do that now.  Especially with everyone going head over heals with pixels and RGB nodes, the demand for AC controllers has dropped significantly and even reaching the minimum order quantity may prove to be difficult.  If you want an LE, I would snap them up now from others moving from AC to RGB while the availability is still pretty good because like most things in life, that will not last forever.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bassmants

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, »
I am staying with a mixture of DMX and RGB and buy Expresses here when they come available.  They do come for sale fairly often and I have never had a failure out of 14 controllers.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, »
I originally had 2 Renard SS24 as my first display controllers but had bad flickering that I could not resolve.
I moved to Lynx Express and they have been rock solid with zero problems. The last few years I have run 18 Expresses with wireless DMX.

I am switching to almost entirely pixels next year so I have 14 for sale (keeping 5 for myself)

I have for sale 14 assembled Lynx Express v5.0 in cases with cords and also 10 EX/RX wireless DMX adapters in case anyone is interested you could make me an offer.
I would be willing to pull them out of the cases to make shipping more reasonable.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, »
Whenever I see the comparison between pixels and single color strands I always get angry.
Maybe from a financial perspective pixels cost less, etc.

But from an artistic standpoint, and I am not that artistic:), there is a place for both.  I have about 60000 mini-led 110v strands in my yard for specific elements, and the rest I am trying to do with pixels.  The right tool for the right location.  I never see my yard being all pixels. 

There is still a need for standard old DMX type 110v controllers.  Maybe Minleon will be the option, maybe something else.  There will also be a need for pixels.

Hopefully we will still see coops for wireless dmx, since minleon doesn't support we will need external boxes.  Dongles, etc.

Just my .02

MIke
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline satskier

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, »
Wow... Too bad they did not enhance it with fuses on the 16 leads.

Offline Exitfourxmas

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, »
Wow... Too bad they did not enhance it with fuses on the 16 leads.

Curious why you think you need a fuse on each of the outputs?   ???

Offline tbone321

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, »
Because excess current draw due to a short can damage the TRIAC which can be difficult to replace. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lrhorer

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, »
Agreed.  It's really the main feature I see lacking in the LE.  Actually, I do rather wish the LE had an external switch.  It would come in handy for hard resetting the unit in cases where I have more than one device in the enclosure.