Author Topic: Converting from mini lights to LED  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
Converting from mini lights to LED
« on: December 27, 2016, »
Hi everyone,

I've been away from the hobby for a few years and every year in Dec I get the urge. Can someone point me to a thread explaining how to, or what is needed to switch from mini's to LED's...besides piles of cash  ;).
I have a couple of Lynx Freestyle, wireless Lynx Express', DMX dongle, wireless TX/RX.....154 (if I remember correctly) channels.

Thanks in advance,

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline tbone321

Re: Converting from mini lights to LED
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, »
What do you mean exactly?  Are you talking about RGB nodes?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, »
If you just want to change from mini stings to LED strings just buy new LED strings & replace old. If you want to go RGB nodes complete new setup. I will let someone else explain RGB.
Mike

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, »
I'm asking about replacing the mini lights with LED's and using my current SSR / Lynx Freestyle / Lynx Express set-up. Will LED's run on this without
any mods?

Thanks, Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, »
Yes the LEDs will run fine with one exception.  Dimming will be much different and you may need to add snubbers to the LED strings.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm asking about replacing the mini lights with LED's and using my current SSR / Lynx Freestyle / Lynx Express set-up. Will LED's run on this without
any mods?

Thanks, Brad

Some will and some won't.  Some LED strings don't like to be dimmed and some of the higher end strings will indicate if they can dim or not.  Your best bet will be to buy a single string of the type that you want to use and connect it to the controller and see how it behaves. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving