Author Topic: Porcupine Balls  (Read 1233 times)

Offline lrhorer

Porcupine Balls
« on: January 18, 2017, »
I picked up a set of three of the Porcupine Balls from Cabelas for a couple of stars I will be making next year, but I can't find any suitable pipes for a reasonable price.  I've looked around for PEX tubing, but I can't find any rigid PEX.  The closest thing I have been able to find is clear schedule 40 PVC from pvcfittingsonline.com.  First of all, for this application, translucent pipe is a much better solution than transparent, and secondly, it's still $8 for a 60 inch tube.  That's over $400 for a pair of stars.  I can get PEX from Home Depot for just over $0.50 / ft, but 1/2" PEX has too small an ID, and 3/4" PEX has too large an OD.  Where can I get something that will work for a reasonable price?

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
Re: Porcupine Balls
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, »
Think I remember reading somewhere that someone used PVC for the inner and had lights, then sandwiched it with PEX tubing?  Or I coulda been dreaming too....cause I can't find it.  But a thought maybe...

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, »
I used pex from home depot (lowes works too)
I then used my table saw to create a 3" cut.
The cut allows the pex to slip into the porcupine easily.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, »
Check out this thread - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which is where I first came across this idea. I also used 3/4" translucency PEX from Home Depot with a saw cut at the end. Drill a 3/8" hole at the end of the saw cut so you can easily pull out the wires.

- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC
  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login