Author Topic: Wireless with wallwasher  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Sloanhaus

Wireless with wallwasher
« on: July 13, 2009, »
I have 7 wall washers and I am wanting to make each of them wireless, to do this, would I run a cord from my outlet, split it into two, take one end directly to the wallwasher for my 110 power supply, and than run the other end to a wall wart to supply power to the wireless board? I am really wanting to only have one wire running to each wall washer... Also, which wal wart is recommended for powering these boards, examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brad
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, by Sloanhaus »

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Wireless with wallwasher
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

The standalone receivers will have an ac cord needed for each.  If the BOM isn't yet updated for them, the Mouser direct link there shows the ac adapter for it, and also for the transmitter, for its Mouser direct info.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, »
Is there any way to run them off a car battery to go completely wireless?

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, »
the stand-alone receiver would run off a car battery,  but    -  (there is always a but)  ..  the battery would have way more voltage and amperage avalable than needed ...  and the 12 volt  (actually more than that in a fully charged battery)   would drive the 7805 too hard over time  -- probable outcome would be cooking it..... and possiblly  the more expensive components too ..   and you know it would happen at the worst possible moment...   

...      if you want to to provide power for only the receiver ....    stay  in the  7.5 - 10 volt DC region...   ..   9 volt recommended.     

Larry

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is there any way to run them off a car battery to go completely wireless?

You should be able to find a 12v to 9v dc to dc converter somewhere.  Look around for cell phone car chargers that run on 9v.  Your local Goodwill is a great place to look for them.

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, »
So could I just cut the plug off my alarm clock which is 9 volt and connect it to my board and than hook up a 9 Volt duracel battery to run it?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, by Sloanhaus »

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, »
Brad, I admire your enthusiasm.  LOL

You really are going totally wireless aren't you?

So far that I know. Wireless has been done on a data level. You unfortunately, are paving the road single handedly. The rest of us haven't gotten around to wireless power yet. Let us know how it works out.

Leon

(It's not impossible, Disney had to do it on the Main Street Electrical Parade   ;)  )
Leon

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, »
Well when you see my show this year you will understand. I plan on running 60,000 leds on my house as well as 15 wall washers. I will have 3 leaping arches, 20 foot mega tree, and 10 mini trees. I will be putting wall washers in areas where I dont want anyone to trip over any wires when they are walking in my yard. I figure I can run them off a car battery for 4 hours a night for at least 2 weeks without being recharged do to the small amount of power and the limited time they will be on. Problem is, we have a lot of small children that will run into the yard when I release the snow from my snow machine. So if I can place my lights without any wires, I will save myself many headaches. I plan on making all my wall washers and expresses wireless if RJ will sell me the boards lol. Anyways, I am starting my set up the last week of October and plan on doing it all while my wife has a baby October 10th... Should be fun

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, »
I'm not doubting that. I saw your display last year and I'm sure it won't disappoint. I, however, would strongly recommend against letting anyone "IN" your yard for liability reasons.
Remember the expresses are wireless data only. We still can't do wireless power.  :) *** There will still be many power cords in your yard! ***
Leon

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, »
PS - The car battery I believe is still a bad idea and WAY overkill. There must be another way and still get you the wireless capabilities you want. Just not sure what it would be.
Leon

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, »
Ya, I agree. I am not going to have any wires running from the expresses out in the yard, just wall washers. The expresses are all on the roof or in my mega tree. So I would like to have no wires. As ideal as it would be to have no people come into the yard, if the wind is blowing the snow towards the house, the kids are going to come. I am going to test the wireless board with different types of batteries. I will have a completely wireless wallwasher, I assure you. Give me a year and I will have complete wireless, including expresses...

Can you imagine how much voltage you would need to run completely wireless? Going to get my kite and a key...

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well when you see my show this year you will understand. I plan on running 60,000 leds on my house as well as 15 wall washers. I will have 3 leaping arches, 20 foot mega tree, and 10 mini trees. I will be putting wall washers in areas where I dont want anyone to trip over any wires when they are walking in my yard. I figure I can run them off a car battery for 4 hours a night for at least 2 weeks without being recharged do to the small amount of power and the limited time they will be on. Problem is, we have a lot of small children that will run into the yard when I release the snow from my snow machine. So if I can place my lights without any wires, I will save myself many headaches. I plan on making all my wall washers and expresses wireless if RJ will sell me the boards lol. Anyways, I am starting my set up the last week of October and plan on doing it all while my wife has a baby October 10th... Should be fun

i did the whole baby thing 2 years ago. i had most of my display up by holloween. He ending up being 2 months early and was born before i had anything up so that is why i did it that way. Congrats and enjoy the new baby! :)