Author Topic: Help Express not working and data link Led not coming on  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Raptorman670

I have 3 Expresses and two work and the one doesn't. The one that doesn't work the data link led doesn't light up. Anyone know what could be wrong?
                            thanks for any help

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: Help Express not working and data link Led not coming on
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, »
My mind races with the possibilities:
poor or no solder on the input jack DMX-IN,
not all pins of the PIC soldered...

Do any of the LEDs light up?  If using only one AC input is the AC cord connected to the left side?  If getting power does the self test (7-segment displays) show info, does the test switch do anything?

When I troubleshoot, I refer to the manual to ensure everything is installed correctly, all parts are properly soldered, and run through the tests, if provided.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We need a bit more info.

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have 3 Expresses and two work and the one doesn't. The one that doesn't work the data link led doesn't light up. Anyone know what could be wrong?
                            thanks for any help
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, »
Thanks for the suggestions. The 5v and 3.3v leds both work. Run the test on the the controller all channel leds work. Yes cord is on the left side. express configuration utility don't work. I bought the controller from a member so idk about the solder joints have to check them out thanks. solder joints look ok
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, by Raptorman670 »

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, »
Power supplies and PIC functioning, sounds like.

With the power OFF:

Verify the DMX jack is properly soldered.
Check inside the DMX jack for corrosion and ensure the contacts are straight and in their guide.
Make sure the RS485 chips are installed with orientation as marked on the PCB - facing right.
Popout the RS485 chips (after positively verifying the solder joints are good) and make sure a pin isn't folded up under the chip.   
Repeat with the PIC. no pins folded underneath the PIC?  Correct orientation?
Terminator jumper closed?
Verify the termination resistor is properly soldered and is 120ohm.
Make sure the jumper "Remove for wireless" is on.
If the DATA LED is installed backwards that'll keep DMX from working.

Can you post high resolution pictures of the front of the Express and another of the back?

Let me know!

Thanks for the suggestions. The 5v and 3.3v leds both work. Run the test on the the controller all channel leds work. Yes cord is on the left side. express configuration utility don't work. I bought the controller from a member so idk about the solder joints have to check them out thanks. solder joints look ok
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, by JoeFromOzarks »

Offline cody33rd

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, »
The data light has been a problem for some before.  I have had data lights do things similar to what you are describing.  On with no incoming cable or data and off with cable and data coming through.  Most seem to work fine, but some just don't. In past threads it has been mentioned that this is an issue with some of the rs485 chips.  Some people swap the 2 rs48 chips on the board with each other and then the data light works fine.  Others have replaced them with known working chips.  I have just learned to ignore the data light on some of my expresses, and everything else works  just fine.  The only time it is a real problem is the lack of help the light offers during trouble shooting. 
Springville Utah

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, »
Update problem solved!
The Rs 485 chip by the Dmx 2 output socket was in backwards. Someone soldered the socket in backwards so they must have put the chip in backwards also. Works good now. Thanks Joe for the suggestions I really appreciate all the help.     
       Dave

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, »
Excellent news!!  Thank you for letting us know!!   Enjoy your blinky-flashy and let us know how it goes!

Update problem solved!
The Rs 485 chip by the Dmx 2 output socket was in backwards. Someone soldered the socket in backwards so they must have put the chip in backwards also. Works good now. Thanks Joe for the suggestions I really appreciate all the help.     
       Dave