Author Topic: Need Help Trouble Shooting USB Dongle  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Dholley

Need Help Trouble Shooting USB Dongle
« on: December 08, 2018, »
Dear DLA Friends,

I hope everyone has their shows up and running.  I hope someone can help me troubleshoot me my USB dongle.  I have two dongles; one is programmed for pixelnet and the other is DMX. The one with pixelnet is working fine and the one with DMX is not.  When I connect it to the computer it is not recognized by the computer and it does not show in the com port but the red LED of the dongle comes on. I put the chip that was in the working dongle in the dongle  that was not working to see if the problem was with the chip but still it is not recognized. The DMX dongle did work at one time but has been at least 2 years since I last used it. I looked at my solder joints and they seem to be okay.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Danny

Offline tbone321

Re: Need Help Trouble Shooting USB Dongle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, »
Sadly, that is a big indicator of a failure of the USB sub assembly.   I would check to make sure that your connections between it and the main board are good.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Dholley

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, »
thank you tbone. Is there a way to test the sub assembly?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, »
Basically, the PC is testing it for you.  If it can't see it, then it is not working.  If you are not getting the device is ready to use message, then siomething happened to it.  IIRC, they are still available from Mouser but they are not cheap. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving