Author Topic: USB Dongle with PixelNet Firmare question  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Jasonlnlv

USB Dongle with PixelNet Firmare question
« on: November 03, 2017, »
I have a USB DMX Dongle that I have been running for years connected to a Falcon Pi Player to 6 Lynx Express v5 units running fine - I have a second USB Dongle I built and flashed it with PixelNet firmware just in case ... now the Just in case has come up and I still want to use my 6 LE DMX but want to add the Holiday Coro "CCR" Pixel MegaTree Kit - 16 Strips/Ribbons / 800 Pixels / 2,400 DMX Channels / Ready2Run Assembled - with AlphaPix 16 Controller.

The USB DMX Dongle only does 512 channels - so I assume that if I use the UBB PixelNet Dongle connected from the FPP I can add this and it will still run the DMX boxes and the Holiday Coro tree together?

Is this right or do I need something else?

Offline tbone321

Re: USB Dongle with PixelNet Firmare question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, »
If what you are saying is that you intend to connect both dongles to the FPP, yes, you can do that.  Just make sure to map the channels to the correct device.  If you are thinking that you want to switch out the DMX dongle with the PixelNet dongle, that will not work as the LE's do not understand the PixelNet protocol.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Staples

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If what you are saying is that you You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and intend to connect both dongles to the FPP, yes, you can do that.  Just make sure to map the channels to the correct device.  If you are thinking that you want to switch out the DMX dongle with the PixelNet dongle, that will not work as the LE's do not understand the PixelNet protocol.

Hi Tbone321, can you have more than one device when you this btw?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, by Staples »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, »
I don't understand your question.  You can have multiple dongles connected to FPP for their input source but you cannot have multiple dongles connected to the same controller circuit for their output because they would interfere with each other. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, »
I have a USB DMX Dongle that I have been running for years connected to a Falcon Pi Player to 6 Lynx Express v5 units running fine - I have a second USB Dongle I built and flashed it with PixelNet firmware just in case ... now the Just in case has come up and I still want to use my 6 LE DMX but want to add the Holiday Coro "CCR" Pixel MegaTree Kit - 16 Strips/Ribbons / 800 Pixels / 2,400 DMX Channels / Ready2Run Assembled - with AlphaPix 16 Controller.

The USB DMX Dongle only does 512 channels - so I assume that if I use the UBB PixelNet Dongle connected from the FPP I can add this and it will still run the DMX boxes and the Holiday Coro tree together?

Is this right or do I need something else?
The Alpha Pix 16 works with E 1.31 (DMX over ethernet) so you will need to connect your FPP to a hub and then run a cat 5/6 line out to your Alpha Pix 16. You will also need to setup the output on the FPP for E 1.31 and set up the number of universes you will need.
Jeff Squires