Author Topic: Please Help , what is going wrong?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline TokyoLights

Please Help , what is going wrong?
« on: November 30, 2017, »
I acquired a Lynx Express several years ago (about 3) and this is the first year I have had some time to tinker with it, but I cant get it to work.  <fp.

I have windows 10 with vixen 3.4u3 32bit. I have set up the com port correctly i think.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And I think I have Vixen set up correctly.

But it doesn't work. I created a short video on my iPhone to show you what happens because if a picture is worth a 100 words, a video must be worth 100k right.

Anyone have any ideas?

Addition Info:
I'm in Tokyo so running on 50Hz 100v, <- will that make a difference?
I also tried vixen 2.1, same problem, and xLights also, same problem.
Tried another USB cable, it didn't make a difference.
Tried a different cat5 cable.....no dice!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, by TokyoLights »

Offline tbone321

Re: Please Help , what is going wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, »
The LE should be able to operate at 50Hz.  When it first powers up. it should show on the display what frequency it detects on the power line.  The fact that the DMX light is flashing shows that it is receiving data.  The first thing that I would be looking at is what the dongle is flashed with.  Make sure that it is the DMX firmware and not the PixelNet firmware.  Then take a look in the sequencing software and make sure that the dongle is configured as an Entec DMX dongle and not an Open DMX dongle.  Also make sure that your sequencing software is outputting your channels starting at channel 1 since that is the current starting address of the LE as shown on its display.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TokyoLights

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, »
tbone, thanks for replying, it is much appreciate it. I does register as 50 Hz so I don't think there is a problem there, not sure about the 100v vs U.S. 120v though, could that cause a timing issue? I am also starting to suspect the USB dongle, if it were flashed as PixelNet, would the Lynx recognize that as a DMX signal though? I have a pickit 3 with a breadboard arriving today and I am going to try to give it a flash. The software is set correctly to DMX, not openDMX. I will look at the channel as well, but I think it was patched at ch 1.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, »
The DMX light is really just monitoring the RS485 so if it is getting a signal, it will flicker, even if it is PixelNet.  The 100V may affect the diming curve a bit but shouldn't stop it from working.  If the flash of the Dongle doesn't work, you may want to download xLights and take a look at that.  It has pa pretty good test section which should prove communication between the dongle and the LE.

Offline TokyoLights

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, »
I got the Pickit3 over the weekend built the bread board and read the PIC and sure enough as you suggested it was PixelNet flashed. I have flashed it back to DMX today but haven't had time to test it yet.

Offline TokyoLights

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, »
Problem solved, works great now.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, »
If you are not already invested in vixen you might also want to check out xlights at xlights.org ... it will work with your gear also and is free.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, »
While xLights is an amazing program, it pretty much sucks for single channel sequencing.  No better and harder to use than Vixen 2.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, »
The new AC Toolbar didn't help much? 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, »
Those AC tools are not intuitive and I have no idea how to use them.  They don't appear to be drag and drop like the other effects in xLights, or at least I couldn't get then to work that way.  I will need to look at the video again to get some idea of how they work.  The problem that I have with xLights is that they have some amazing tools and effects but just about EVERYTHING is geared to pixels and display panels and you really have to jump through some hoops to get them to work with single channel props if it can be done at all.